I want a break from the predictability of my Saturday posts from now on. I want to use this space for ... whatever it is that inspires me through the week. I want a little more interaction with my readers, maybe answer a question I got in a comment, or a picture, a recipe, a video ... whatever. I might still follow the Photo Hunt theme every once and a while when it truly inspires me, but not every week. I think I shall title this as my
" Saturday Something ...?"
What do you think?
That said, I'll kick off with a recipe this week. My American apple pie everybody asked about. Melli asked me for the recipe, so here we go Melli!
The recipe came from one of a series of cookbooks I got when my daughter was a just a few weeks old. Almost thirty years later I still cherish them ...
You will need:
40 g of butter
90 g of sugar
750 g of apples. I used Cox Orange
75 g of walnuts
some lemon juice
For the dough:
80 g of butter at room temperature
160 g of sugar
the zest of one lemon
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
80 g of flour
80 g of cornflour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
3-4 tablespoons of milk.
a pinch of salt.
I made step-by-step pictures of the whole recipe, and you should follow them clockwise.
( aren't you glad I take pictures of EVERYTHING Melli?) ;-)
Preheat the oven at 190°C
Line the bottom of the baking tin with a sheet of baking paper, and grease it with butter.
Cover the bottom of the tin with the rest of the softened butter, and sprinkle the sugar over it.
Peel the apples, and sprinkle them with some lemon juice to keep them nice and white.
Fill the holes with the walnuts, and set aside.
To make the dough, soften the butter with the mixer and add the sugar spoon by spoon.
Add the grated lemon zest the lemon juice. Separate the egg whites and the yolks, add the yolks and keep mixing until the mixture becomes slightly white. Add the flour, the cornflour, the baking powder and the milk. Mix until the dough is nice and smooth.
Beat the egg whites and spoon them in using a wooden spoon.
Spread the mixture evenly over the apples and the walnuts.
Bake for +/- 45 minutes at 190°C.
(I think you should test it with a needle, if it comes out dry, the cake is done).
Let it rest for at least ten minutes before you turn it upside down and remove the tin, and the baking paper.
- Antwerp, Belgium
- Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother, not a grandmother,I don't know if I'll ever be, but I'll let you know in due time! Oh and um ... I am a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!
Heaven is in Belgium
What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter
- ► 2012 (113)
- ► 2011 (56)
- ► 2010 (198)
- Sweetsauer's Photo Scavenger hunt.
- Quilly'sThree Word Thursday
- ABC in idioms, A and B
- Ruby Tuesday, Raindrops
- Macro Monday Apple Blossoms
- Weekly Winners, Don't Sit under the Appletree ...
- Around the World in 80 Clicks. Mama ...
- Fave Five, Life can be Beautiful ...
- Quilly's Three Word Thursday
- Anouncing a New Photo Challenge
- Rubies from Bruges. Again!
- Macro Monday Stop Bugging me!
- Weekly Winners Fun in the Kitchen
- Saturday Something ...? American Apple Pie.
- Fave Five, Friends, Family and a Birthday.
- Sepia Scenes meets Three Words Thursday
- Melli's ABC Challenge, Y and Z
- Ruby Tuesday An Apple a Day ...
- Macro Monday
- Weekly Winners, All Things Sweet ...
- You know ... I've been thinking ...
- Friday's Favourite Five
- Quilly's Three Word Challenge
- Melli's Alphabet Challenge, W and X
- Rubies from Bruges
- Fun Monday, Holiday in Provence
- Weekly Winners, Nothing Much ...
- Walk on ...
- Friday's Fave Five
- Sepia Scenes Spring in Antwerp
- Melli's ABC challenge U and V
- ▼ April (31)