About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Midweek Blues, First Day of School

mwb 1575

 

IMG_4144bc

It’s the first day of school here in Belgium, so I dug into my archives to try to find an appropriate illustration. This classroom with its wooden benches looks a lot like the one I remember from my childhood.

IMG_4146bc

IMG_4147bc

 

Play along with Midweek Blues. Post a picture with a little or a lot of blue in it and join the fun at the Dusty Cellar.

17 comments:

Gemma Wiseman said...

I notice the desks are at different levels! And a giant abacus in the corner! A classroom with lots of atmosphere! Fascinating shots!

Suki said...

My! What a hotchpotch of furniture! I wonder what's written on that blackboard.. can't understand a word : (

Suburban Girl said...

Wow, what a cool reminder of the past. I would love to investigate each nook and cranny of the place.

Wanda..... said...

We had similar desks, but they were one-seaters! The photos are enchanting, Jientje; I bet the desk by the stove was a very warm/hot one!

United Studies said...

These are very charming photos! But you never disappoint.

Carol said...

Lovely photos of this step back in time.

Dianne said...

I love the huge abacus
these photos are wonderful

Unknown said...

I like how the desks get bigger, front to back. Very interesting.

Rob Siemann said...

Yep, went to one of those myself. Used to scratch my name into the wood, when I learned to write. Long time ago.

Gattina said...

Where did you find such an old school ? I oly have horrible souvenirs from school, I hated it ! But your pictures are beautiful !

Kim, USA said...

This school desk remind me of my childhood too. The huge abacus is impressive. Thanks for sharing and happy Wednesday!
Something red, yellow & blue

ABC Wednesday

A Lady's Life said...

So what did they do with the chalk boards on each table?
We never had those kind of tables. Interesting.

Loree said...

School starts October 1st here for the little ones. What an amazing old classroom.

Carletta said...

Schools have come a long way.
So much to feast the eyes on these pics Jientje!
School has been in session here for a week already.
Where did summer go?

(Round The Bend)

Kathy said...

What a great nostalgic schoolroom!

Barbara said...

School has started here as well. I got a reminder of that the other day when I got stuck behind a bus. Is fun to watch all the parents waitng for their children to get off the buses. Love all things old.

Christie, Describe Happy said...

What a great looking classroom! It would be fun to have one of those desks/benches as a vintage piece!

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed