About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday's Fave Five, Cold Weather Comfort Food


The week went by much too fast! I can't believe it's Friday again!
Time to look back and share some of the blessings of the past week. Time to join Susanne's Friday's Fave Five at Living to Tell the Story...





1. My photographer's gloves I found at the weekly market. At least now my hands stay warm while I can still operate my camera.
2. The new Phalaenopsis hubby bought me. The other one has dropped all it's flowers, so I cut back the stem, but it's already starting to grow shoots. The new one is a lovely pink one with big flowers.
3. We made an early morning walk on Sunday. It was cold, but it felt good to be outside.
4. I made " hutspot", now that's real cold weather comfort food! It's made with green cabbage, onions, carrots and potatoes. You brown your meat first, remove it from the pot, drain the fat, and put the veggies and the potatoes in. Add some water, put the meat on top of the veggies and let it simmer until tender. Let it rest overnight.
5. Another fave of mine is Chili con Carne. I prepared it before we went shopping and let it simmer while we were gone. The hearty smell of that lovely stew was all over the apartment when we came back! It gave me the coziest feeling!

PS: I almost forgot! My photo of the day, project 366 #41


17 comments:

Nana said...

I want spring! :-)

Wanda..... said...

Love the soft and cheerful colors in the collage, Jientje!

Barbara H. said...

Those gloves look very warm and handy!

The food sounds scrumptious.

Love the colors in the collage.

Mo said...

Love the gloves! And the chili sounds yummy....here's to another good week ahead!

Rob Siemann said...

We really love your collages!

Unknown said...

On a cold day there isn't anything better than coming into the warm to a hot bowl of Chili con Carne. YUM.

Loree said...

The flowers are so very beautiful and look so cheerful when compared to the winter weather.

Carrie said...

Photo gloves! Brilliant! =D

Happy FFF to you! Hope you have a great weekend!

Lisa notes... said...

I love your photographer's gloves. So handy! (no pun intended)

I've never heard of hutspot but I can imagine it smelling yummy when it cooks.

Have a great weekend.

ellen b said...

Oh how glorious your mosaic is with all that great looking food and beautiful color in the flowers. I might have to try making hutspot! Sounds like something we'd enjoy...

maggie said...

Delicious! Also, I suddenly really need gloves like yours. :)

momma24 said...

I love your pictures!

Brenda said...

Nothing like warm soups in cold weather! Love your pictures. I need me some gloves like that!

Susanne said...

The color of that flower is breath-taking.

I love chili too and now you've got my mouth watering for a nice big bowl.

I love winter walks. As long as I'm dressed warm. LOL. Those mittens look like the perfect thing!

Willow said...

The canal looks so cold with all the snow on the frozen ground. But I do love your 'camera gloves'. Great idea!

fotorantje said...

een echte winterse week, dat is duidelijk aan de collage

Carletta said...

The orchid with that backlight is gorgeous!

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive