About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Monday, February 6, 2012

The Weekend was Much too Short!


Monday again, time to share some of the highlights of the weekend that has passed. This fun meme is hosted by Gattina, at Writer Cramps.


My weekend started a little earlier than usual. On Friday it began to snow and my husband's appointments were canceled because of the weather conditions. We had ran our errands before the snow, so we stayed warm and safe inside the house!

On Saturday morning we went to the weekly market where I looked for - and found - a pair of gloves. I call them my photographer's gloves because they keep my hands warm while I can still use my fingers to operate my camera.

They needed to be tested, so I set out on a little photo walk along the canal. No frozen fingers unlike last Tuesday when my hands hurt like hell.

Warming up afterwards with a lovely cup of Gluhwein and the weekend edition of the paper.

I prepared a big pot of "hutspot" which is a stew with cabbage, onions, carrots and potatoes. You bake your meat first, (I used pork ribs) remove it from the pot, add the veggies and some water and and put the meat on top again. Let it simmer on a low heat and rest overnight. It tastes even better the next day.

While that was simmering I prepared the mussels for our supper. After supper we watched some television. We saw Two Weeks Notice with Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant.

Sunday morning we woke up to this beautiful sunrise.
We got up early because we wanted to do an early morning photo walk in the woods.
We ate a croissant and we were on our way.


I'm submitting this photo as my photo of the day. Project 366 #37

After our walk I fixed us breakfast. I ran out of oranges, so I made grapefruit/orange juice. It tasted heavenly!

The rest of the day was spent editing photos and blogging.


It was my husband's idea to drink an Orval Trappist beer to go with the stew. Delicious.
Needless to say, the weekend went by much too soon!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Beer? Is that why they call it "getting stewed"?

Probably not. But then - that's how my mind works.

Gattina said...

Your pictures are gorgeous ! I especially love the one with the mussels I adore them !
I too have gloves like that, I don't like gloves with covered fingers I can't feel anything then, but these once are real practical !
It hasn't snowed again so far, but it is bitter cold ! - 10°C tomorrow it will be a little warmer !

Christie describeHappy said...

Oh what a lovely weekend!! I especially love the orange color of your orange-grapefruit juice. Really screams spring to me right now!

FilipBlog said...

Special tree, good Belgian beer and such a lovely terrace, what more do you want.

Greetings,
Filip

Loree said...

Weekends are always too short :( What an amazing sunrise. Keep warm.

Carletta said...

What a lovely photo essay Jientje!

LOVE the gloves! They are perfect for photography. Although it hasn't yet been that cold here.
It looks like you got more snow and that looks like ice on the canal. That third shot is lovely and so is the sunrise.
I think my Mom has a teacup and saucer like that in your breakfast shot. I really must take a photo next time I visit her to compare. :)

Anonymous said...

It's always nice to see that you have a good weekend. I have gloves similar to yours, which I use to take pictures in cold weather. Very helpful.

fotorantje said...

goed idee van die handschoentjes
ik heb ooit nog zo'n soort gedragen op m'n werk, ijskoude pijnlijke handen konden zo verder typen

zie ik daar rijstpap met kiwisaus of zo?

hmmm jullie ontbijten lekker
en middageten en avondeten, hihi

maggie said...

What a great weekend. I love seeing all of the pictures. The first one is awesome. I love to see snow that I don't have to shovel.

Susanne said...

It's so gorgeous where you live when it snows. Your wonderful pictures really bring out the beauty.

Love stews like that. My mom used to use pork ribs for soups and stews all the time and it was delicious!

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive