When Sepia Scenes meets Quilly's Three Word Thursday ....
Each week, Quilly gives us three words to work with. This week's words are sublunary, comity, & specious. The idea is to write a story using these three obsolete words ...
Don't worry, no need for a dictionary to read the story! Just click on the links to find their definitions.
Now, because I firmly believe a picture paints a thousand words, I am adding these sepia pictures. The pictures I took from this street event in Antwerp were much too busy to look good.
I used my Corel Paint Shop Pro x12 on them, turning them into half sepia by creating layers. The sepia quiets down the busyness of the scenery, while the parts of the picture left in colour create drama and guide your eyes into the picture. Well, at least this is what I've been trying to achieve here.
This small square in the heart of the city of Antwerp breathes history and tradition. Every Friday morning a street auction, locally known as Friday's Market is being held here. The ambiance at Friday's Market is a bitter sweet fusion of nostalgia and ghetto.
The Madonna on the pedestal has commiserated the sublunary affairs of the people beneath her since time immemorial.
The middle of the square is cluttered with old furniture, bikes, electric appliances, light fixtures, floor lamps ... TV's and washing machines...
Suitcases or cardboard boxes holding just about anything from books to tools, kitchen utensils or clothes. An array of people from various backgrounds are gathered here, each has his own reason for being here. Some of them are very obviously trying to make ends meet, seeking a pair of shoes or a sweater or a shirt. There is even a fair chance to spot and buy back your own bike that got stolen only last week ... Or that specious red scooter ...
Some are just curious, or intrigued by the volgivagant spectacle this street auction offers.
Some try to find an original spare piece to repair something. Another just wants to make his grandchild smile. What more could be found here?
Sad stories of desperate people trying to buy back their own furniture, after being court ordered to sell their goods publicly. Biting their lips as they watch how their new television is being auctioned off and sold for only a fraction of what it is worth.
People know you can buy cheap here, but you have to be careful what you bid for. Not all of it is in perfect state, and what looked like an interesting piece of antiques at first glance might just as well turn out to be a specious copy once you lay your hands on it .
The goods are sold as they come and there are to be no arguments about that. This particular rule is blared out clamorously in aboriginal Antwerp tongue before the bidding starts. It's repeated frequently as part of the auction chant. Nevertheless, on some occasions a certain dose of comity should be in order here as well. But courtesy and respect are sometimes considered useless virtues on street auctions. Impatient sighs and ebullient discussions tend to add to the drama when buyers and vendors often face opposite interests ...
Find more Sepia Scenes pictures here.
Other 3WT stories here.
- Antwerp, Belgium
- Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother, not a grandmother,I don't know if I'll ever be, but I'll let you know in due time! Oh and um ... I am a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!
Heaven is in Belgium
What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter
- ► 2012 (113)
- ► 2011 (56)
- ► 2010 (198)
- Sweetsauer's Photo Scavenger hunt.
- Quilly'sThree Word Thursday
- ABC in idioms, A and B
- Ruby Tuesday, Raindrops
- Macro Monday Apple Blossoms
- Weekly Winners, Don't Sit under the Appletree ...
- Around the World in 80 Clicks. Mama ...
- Fave Five, Life can be Beautiful ...
- Quilly's Three Word Thursday
- Anouncing a New Photo Challenge
- Rubies from Bruges. Again!
- Macro Monday Stop Bugging me!
- Weekly Winners Fun in the Kitchen
- Saturday Something ...? American Apple Pie.
- Fave Five, Friends, Family and a Birthday.
- Sepia Scenes meets Three Words Thursday
- Melli's ABC Challenge, Y and Z
- Ruby Tuesday An Apple a Day ...
- Macro Monday
- Weekly Winners, All Things Sweet ...
- You know ... I've been thinking ...
- Friday's Favourite Five
- Quilly's Three Word Challenge
- Melli's Alphabet Challenge, W and X
- Rubies from Bruges
- Fun Monday, Holiday in Provence
- Weekly Winners, Nothing Much ...
- Walk on ...
- Friday's Fave Five
- Sepia Scenes Spring in Antwerp
- Melli's ABC challenge U and V
- ▼ April (31)