About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Sepia Scenes Spring in Antwerp


I took this picture on one of my recent walks in Antwerp two weeks ago.
The beguinage, a place where time has stood still.
Perfect for a sepia.


Although I prefer half sepia for this picture.
I thought it would be a shame to make those glorious daffodils fade into sepia.
But what I like is that the apartment building on the right blends in and almost disappears into the sepia sky.

I used Corel Paint Shop Pro x 12, and I created a layer by copying the background, then turned the layer into sepia, and removed half of it using the eraser tool.
It's simple once you get the hang of it!

Find more Sepia Scenes here.

19 comments:

Robin said...

Ohhhh, I love this Jientje - going from the full color foreground towards the sepia background is like stepping back in time!

A beautiful photo for sure, and the half sepia really turns it into something special.

Lilacspecs said...

I love your Sepia Scenes!

Anonymous said...

These are so awesome. What a beautiful place for a walk :)

~gail~mooselovingmamabear said...

Wow, amazing shot... Wish I lived closer so that you could teach me all how to do the background...great job!

United Studies said...

Oh I have some pictures from Denmark that this technique would be perfect for! Thanks for the inspiration! Now....just need to find the time...haha! Right now I am taking a break from packing....Emma sure has A LOT of stuff!

Unknown said...

A lovely piece of artwork, to be sure.

maggie's mind said...

That looks really cool. Love the effect!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Those Daffodils really pop out in the sepia! Great photo! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Melli said...

What I LOVE is that the bush on the color side is green and leafy and ALIVE - but the bush on the sepia side is dry and barren and looks dead... It's an AWESOME effect for this photo!

Unknown said...

What a totally gorgeous idea!
Job well done and a beautiful picture.
It looks like a timewalk :D!

Terri said...

Oh this is just perfect! Wonderful choice to color the forefront. It has a dream-like quality to it.

Christine said...

Love the old building and the daffodils that they left out for you to enjoy. I should go and get a pot of them. Maybe it would feel more spring like around here.

dot said...

Wow, it IS perfect for sepia and the daffodils left yellow was really smart thinking. I like how everything looks so neat in the picture.

Dr.John said...

I love the mixture of sepia and color. It is almost as if the picture wanted to be that way.

Robynn's Ravings said...

Ok Jientje - that just FREAKS out my brain! But I like it! I've never seen that done.

Jientje said...

@ Robin: Not every picture is fit for a half sepia, but this one sure was!
@ Korie: Thanks!
@ Thom: It's one of my favourite places in Antwerp.
@ Gail: Yes, and we could go photo hunting together first!
@ Jacki: Taking a break every once and a while is the right thing to do!
@ Lou: Thanks! You're a man who knows art.
@ Maggie: So do I!
@ Sherrie: and a great day to you too!
@ Melli: Yes. One week later and it would not have worked like this any more!
@ NicoleB: This whole place is like a timewalk!
@ Terri: I like how you said that!
@ Christine: They're signs of Spring more than any flower!
@ dot: Half sepia brings it back to life, doesn't it?
@ Dr John: I thought so too.
@ Robynn's Ravings: I do it all the time. Half Sepia brings a picture back to life, I think.

Becky said...

I love ths shot! You have got the magic touch!!

Kahshe Cottager said...

I love how this photo starts in the present and fades into the past! Well done!!

Nessa said...

That is so very cool. Thanks for the "lesson" and the picture is perfect.

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive