About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Anouncing a New Photo Challenge

It feels kind of weird not have to look for Melli's alphabet any more! Difficult at first, but once I got into it, it became a habit. Like an extra switch in my brains or something. We were out on a walk last Sunday when I saw a flight of stairs with real beautiful wrought iron bannisters, and my first impulse was to take a picture for Melli! And now I regret I did not take a picture, I could have posted it here. Oh well ...


By now, everybody is probably waiting for me to announce the new challenge, right?
All good things come to he who waits ... ;-)
Terri asked me to take a breather, and Melli is travelling this week, so I decided to wait one more week. But starting next week, I would love to get the new idioms challenge started.
The idea is to pick an idiom or an expression, ( slang might be interesting too) a saying, a proverb, a phrase ... and document it with a picture. After all, a picture paints a thousand words right? I'm really looking forward to see what we'll come up with.

As for the rules? I would like us to cover two letters a week, so I suggest we'll start next week and do A and B? Just be creative, that's all I'm asking.
As a matter of fact, I happened to find a couple of interesting thoughts on this subject this morning ...


Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. ~George Smith Patton, War as I Knew It, 1947

Slang is a language that rolls up its sleeves, spits on its hands and goes to work. ~Carl Sandburg, New York Times, 13 February 1959

It's a strange world of language in which skating on thin ice can get you into hot water. ~Franklin P. Jones



So there, if there are any more questions, just put them in a comment and I'll do an update on this post, okay?
Oh and another thing. Any suggestions for a name or a title for this challenge?

In the mean time, I can't wait for you to jump on the bandwagon, and get this show on the road!

UPDATE: Terri asked about the letters of the alphabet. We'll use two each week, so next week, the idioms are supposed to start with A and B, you know like, " apple pie order", an apple a day ...

11 comments:

Nessa said...

Sounds like a very interesting photo game.

~gail~mooselovingmamabear said...

Sounds fun and a challenge all at the same time...LOL

Mar said...

I am not familiar with many idioms or expressions...so this sounds like fun and educational as well ;)

Robynn's Ravings said...

Jientje! Love your quotes this morning and the photo is great! Fun idea!

Terri said...

Idioms for Idiots? (just kidding)

Sounds like fun. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do in the next few weeks, I'll be super busy with travel and rehearsals and performances, but I'll do what I can!

Anonymous said...

Idioms for Intelligence? LOL. Hmmm wonder if I should attempt this...my iPhone and me snapping photos with idioms....might be well something I could do...Love the picture Jientje :)

Terri said...

I'm a little confused about the letters. Is the letter supposed to start the idiom?

Christine said...

Love the photo.

quilly said...

Oy! I better get to Googling!

Alida said...

Oooh I think I want to do the alphabet this time around!!! I'll come back with some idioms. See you soon.

Melli said...

I had started working on this at home - but all my stuff is on my desk top computer AT home. I will TRY to start this while I'm traveling... but I may have to catch up on the 2nd week once I am home! Computer time is just at a real MINIMUM right now!

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive