About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Weekly Winners, War and Peace

weeklywinnersmarch2010

IMG_5507bc

Life was peaceful

IMG_5585b

There was music …

IMG_5540bc

IMG_5677bc

food was abundant …

IMG_5527bc IMG_5577b

business and trading was prosperous

IMG_5547bc

Life was good until …

IMG_5592bc

All of a sudden there was a rumor.

IMG_5482bc
There was going to be a war.
IMG_5484bc

IMG_5615bc
Things started to change.

IMG_5525bc

The men were getting ready for the battle.

IMG_5513bc

IMG_5698bc

IMG_6064bc

IMG_5887bc
The battle was fierce.

IMG_6090bc

IMG_6048bc

Everybody joined forces to defend their land.

IMG_6141bc
A lot of men were wounded, some even died.
IMG_6211bc
The fight was hard, the men were exhausted,

IMG_6233bc

but in the end the enemy was defeated and peace was restored.


These pictures were taken yesterday at the medieval festival in Deurne, near Antwerp.
More Weekly Winners at I am Lotus.
Visit my other blog, Heavenin365 for a photo a day with the Canon D40.

11 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Great pictures. I love these reenactments. We do them here for the American revolution and also for the the American Civil war. Of course, our wars were a few years after chain mail.

Wanda..... said...

Viewing such preparation for war slowly, instead of a fast entertaining action movie...I found it very thought provoking, Jientje. The means they went through to protect their body and defend their land. The 'time consuming' making of mesh and armour by hand...the wounding and killing of each other, which still goes on...well, there should just be a better way to settle differences...♥...Wanda

Robin said...

What fun - I adore Renaissance and medieval festivals. Sadly there aren't any here in Israel and I never seem to catch them in the US, I'd love a chance to go again.

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

The Retired One said...

Great photos of all the action, along with a wonderful tale! I love Renaissance Fairs! We have a small one every August here...I go to also take photos and enjoy the costumes!

Pat said...

I enjoyed your story and pictures, as always! I felt like I was right there beside you viewing all the excitement! Looked like a beautiful day, too!

Robynn's Ravings said...

This was fascinating, Jientje!!! Loved the pictures and the faces seemed so authentic as well as the costumes - right down to the chainmail and the armour. Especially loved the woman in armour made, obviously, for a WOMAN! I'll be back this afternoon to show the kids this pictorial. And BTW, I love your new photo at the top. But, I'm ALL about color and florals. :)

A Lady's Life said...

Its so nice when a good battle can be fought and every one goes home happy and healthy :)
Our kids fight with huge boxing gloves and its so much fun.

Tara R. said...

Wonderful shots! The costumes are amazing. It all looks so real.

Lotus (Sarcastic Mom) said...

Awesome! You always do the coolest things. I'm partial to the shot of the dude adjusting his helmet. :)

Tela said...

this is a great series that really tells a story! nice job.

Denise @ Musician's Widow said...

What FUN!!! WOW!

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed