About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Thousand Words In Idioms, E and F




As long as people have been around, they have tried to communicate with each other. As a means of getting the message across as clearly as possible, idioms and sayings have found their way into our language. Now, because "a picture paints a thousand words", I thought it would be nice to make this a new photo challenge. The idea is to choose an idiom, or a saying, ( even slang is allowed) and illustrate it with a picture. Each week we'll cover two letters of the alphabet, okay?
The very first edition is here if you need some inspiration.
So here we go again ...


" A Thousand Words In Idioms"







The third week already eh? This meme is fun, we have had more players each week. So don't just stand there, don't hesitate but join in!!!
This is so much fun!! We're doing E and F this week.

Now grab your cameras or dig into your archives and join us!!
Now ...
E is for ...

"Elephant in the room".
I am picking that one because there's a funny story attached to it.
I first came across this idiom in my early "blogging-in-English" days. I read about "a nine thousand pound elephant in the bedroom" in a comment, I remember well! I even remember who commented and whose blog it was on! Speaking of elephants, I must have a memory like one! I had no idea what it meant then, but I do now!
An elephant in the room is a problem everybody knows about but rather not talk about, a taboo.
There is an article on the meaning and the origin of that saying here, if you're interested.

I happen to have the perfect picture in my archives, how cool is that?


F is for ...


"Fresh from the oven" Sorry if I'm making you hungry again!!
If something is fresh from the oven it means that it's very new.


That's it from me this week!
I'm dying to see what you have come up with this week!!!
Oh and one more thing. Sign the Mr Linky with the link to your post, not the one to your homepage. It will make it easier for new players to find previous posts.



17 comments:

quilly said...

I am going to be late this week! In my excitement over Amoeba coming home, I forgot all about this!

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

I finally am able to play, and I caught up this week. This looks like such a fun photo challenge!! Thanks for hosting it.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful E and F. I especially like the Elephant in the Room. The article is great as well and of course the pictures are magnificent. Yes of course your pictures make me hungry. Wonderful Idioms as usual Aloha my friend :)

MaR said...

Love that delicate elephant!! great shots and idioms, I am indeed hungry now that I saw those delicious fresh baked goodies!!

RA said...

This is such a wonderful idea, Jientje! Beautiful photos to represent these idioms. It is my first time to join you. Have a great day, everybody :)

Melli said...

LOL! I kicked around using Elephant in the Room - but Ella said she would NOT be used to display something as problematic as THAT! I'm glad now I didn't! Yours is GREAT! Love those buns too... mmm mmm mmm... Fresh from the oven, INDEED!

Thanks for workin' your way down to my monkeys! I really didn't want you to miss them!

Cindy said...

I saw yours and Thom's and wondered what on earth I could come up with, but I did finally think of a couple!

Gattina said...

I only know the elephant in a porcelain shop, lol !

Unknown said...

How do you pay any attention to the 9000 pound elephant in the room when there's a naked lady on it's back?

Momisodes said...

I love the "elephant in the room." Such a great photo and art piece!

And yes, those fresh out of the oven look scrumptious :)

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

These were good, never heard the "Elephant in the Room" before.

Dr.John said...

I am amazed that of the people who are doing this they are coming up with different sayings. I never heard an elephant in the room before.

A Lady's Life said...

Beautiful Elephant.
Sorry had no time to down load shots so had to get them from the net for the idiom. At least I thought of something for e and f. lol
:)

Christine said...

I got to hold my new grand daughter fresh from the oven!!!! LOL I am so loving the idioms.

Jientje said...

@ Quilly: You are SO lost without your OC!!
@ Alice: How nice!! Welcome!
@ Thom: The Easter buns were delicious, that's true.
@ Mar: This was my favourite elephant at the exhibition in Antwerp.
@ Rosidah: Welcome, and thanks for playing along!
@ Ella would have made a great model for that one though!
@ Cindy: but you did, and you did great!!
@ Gattina: You should learn something new every day, so ...
@ Lou: What other answer could I expect from you? LOL!
@ Sandy: My favourite too.
@ Bill: Seems like you're not the only one?
@ Dr John: That's what I like about this meme, we learn new things, don't we?
@ a Lady's life: But you did great!
@ Christine: ROFL!! That's a different bun from the oven, isn't it?

Unknown said...

I'm telling you I would gain weight if I followed you around! I love fresh breads! That's a pretty cool elephant too!

maryt/theteach said...

Love these two shots, jientje! Good job! Love the Elephant in the room - ha! :)

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive