About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Thousand words in Idioms: The Food Edition

"A Thousand Words in Idioms"


As long as people have been around, they have tried to communicate with each other. As a means of getting the message across as clearly as possible, idioms and sayings have found their way into our language. Now, because "a picture paints a thousand words", I thought it would be nice to make this a photo challenge. The idea is to choose an idiom, or a saying, (even slang is allowed) and illustrate it with a picture. You can find the first edition here if you need some inspiration.




If "language is the dress of thoughts" ( Johnson), then idioms must the wardrobe


From now on everybody can join in. No need to follow the alphabet, just pick two idioms and illustrate them with your pictures. Grab that camera or look in your archives. Just be creative, that's all I'm asking!
And don't forget to have fun and visit one another, okay?



So here we go ...

Make a meal:

If someone makes a meal of something, they spend too long doing it or make it look more difficult than it really is.

Have your cake and eat it too:


If someone wants to have their cake and eat it too, they want everything their way, especially when their wishes are contradictory.

Now, as usual, I’m very curious to see yours. And please, join us, play along it’s fun! The more the merrier, I would so love to have a couple more players? Sign Mr Linky if you’re playing and I’ll visit you back, okay?


One more thing....

messageinbottleBLANKcopyright4


Lose your bottle:
(UK) If someone loses their bottle, they lose the courage to do something.
I accidentally stumbled upon this idiom while I was browsing the idiom site, and I thought it was quite funny, but this is really something I'm doing for Thom.
Don’t worry, he’s alive and kicking, and he has not lost his courage!
BUT he got himself into trouble AGAIN (click on this link to read more) , and I promised to send a message into the blogosphere to help him.

Here's what he pleads: "I need all the help I can get and the way I figure it is the more that send that old battle axe a message in the bottle the better my chances are for getting out of the dungeon".

Here are the rules:

You are about to send a virtual Message In A Bottle across the Blog Ocean. Leave a message in the sand or on the bottle. Write anything you wish. Be a pirate or a poet. Serious or silly. Rant or ruminate.

Anonymous or not.

What message would you like to send out to the universe?


1. Compose a message to place in your virtual bottle below.
It can even be ANONYMOUS message.
I will not reveal your identity.

2. Right click and Save the graphic below

3. Use a graphics program of your choice to place the message on the picture

4. Post the meme and these rules on your blog

6. Tag a minimum of five people – or your entire blog roll – to do the same.
Notify them of the tag.


I am going to break rule #6 though. I am not going to tag anyone. Feel free to play along if you wish to do so, or if you want to get Thom out of the dungeon. But bear in mind he’ll get himself in there just as fast as you will manage to get him out. ROFL!!


Anyway, here’s mine …






WOOT!!! Want to know something? I swear, it's true. I wanted to submit my "bottle" to the site, and I nosed around a little on that site. I found two Belgian bottles floating around there. I got curious, so I clicked on the link and to my astonishment I discovered that my friend Gattina had thrown a bottle months ago with the very same message! What are the odds? I googled the quote, true, but I DID NOT COPY it from her, it's just a coincidence!! LOL!!
Great minds think alike eh?

12 comments:

Nana said...

From now on I'm playing too. :-) Mine is on Jientje!

Anonymous said...

You are truly a wonderful human being. Thank you so much for doing that and the shout out and just everything but mostly just being you. That is wonderful and your idioms are so great. I'm so hungry now :) Wonderful job my friend and MAHALO my Belgian Bombshell :) xoxoxoxox

Dr.John said...

As usual you have done a remarkable job of illustrating and explaining your idioms. Thom must be out of the dungeon because he did the idioms today as well.

Wanda..... said...

Love your ideoms and mime Jientje...Thom is funny!

moneythoughts said...

Enjoyed your pictures. And, like lots of people, I have had it said to me that I wanted my cake and eat it too. Nothing wrong with that if you can do it.

Barbara H. said...

I had never heard the one about making a meal. But I'd love to be in on the meal being made in those pictures! Yum! And that cake looks delicious, too!

I hadn't heard the one about losing a bottle either. This is so educational! And what a funny coinicidence that you and Gattina did the same saying.

Melli said...

That is toooooo funny! MY first one isn't on the site... I've searched several KEY phrases to try to find it on my blog - but I can't! I know I made one... but I'll submit the ones I made for Thom too!

My daughter always wants to know WHY she can't HAVE her cake and EAT it too!? She doesn't get it when I tell her that if she EATS it, she no longer HAS it! LOL! But I'd rather EAT my cake... and I'd really like to eat YOURS too! :)

Gattina said...

OK I got the message, I won't cook meals anymore. Explain this to my better half please !

Robynn's Ravings said...

I'm so technically challenged, I looked but still have no idea what to do! And Bo isn't here to enlighten me. My message would say - "I miss Kauai but NOT the nutty neighbor!!" And you made me HUNGRY, Jientje!

MrsLittleJeans said...

Love the pictures, and I really do want that cake and I want to eat it too..
: ) Cannot play, I am too busy but what a fun idea!

Cheers!

Mimi Lenox said...

The coincidence with you and Gattina is just spooky! Thank you for playing. You have a gorgeous site here.

Love your message! I will place it in the bloggy ocean and assign a number soon.
Mimi

OH. And Thom is not getting out of the dungeon anytime soon.

Loree said...

Oh that cake is making me drool. I am such a cake person :)

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive