About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Friday, September 18, 2009

Friday's Fave Five, Pink Sunset and Quince …

friday fave five 12

Time to look back and share the highlights of the week again.
Time for another Fave Five

If it was not for this meme, many good moments would probably fade into oblivion. Life passes by so fast and each day is packed with little gifts, if only we see them, remember them, cherish them. And I do.



1. Number one in this week’s Fave Five has got to be my health. I’ve finished all the pills and I’m very happy to anounce I managed to beat the shingles virus. The pain is gone and the lesions are healed. I was lucky to get diagnosed as early as I did. This time the virus did not get much impact on me. I’m very happy with such a speedy recovery. Thanks for all your well wishes, I’ll bet all the good vibes you sent me really helped to get me back on my feet again as fast as I did!!

2. The beautiful photo book my husband surprised me with. Breathtaking and very inspiring photography of the harbor of Antwerp by Tom d’Haenens, a Belgian photographer. ( click the link to visit his site and then click on the books button. If you click on the book of “the Port of Antwerp” you can leaf through it.
Please do, it’s worth it. His pictures are amazing. They make me want to go out with my camera again too. It’s been too long !!

3. I managed to get all the paperwork and most of the stuff on the procrastination list done yesterday. It surprised me I got through it a lot faster than I thought I would!
I’ve got my travel passport, inquired on health insurance for the trip to the States, went to the post office. All of the above without having to stand in line for hours which is what I dread the most. Anyway, it’s done now. Maybe I’ll remember to not put it off so long next time because it was really not such a big deal, but I doubt it!!

4. That beautiful pink sunset we got Saturday night !!! I really really still needed some pictures for my Weekly Winners post last week. I did not have much at that point because I had been ill all week and that sunset was a gift from heaven. Well, yes, I know they always are, but that one was special because of it’s timing!!

5. My friend Annie brought me a huge bag of quince yesterday. They remind me of paintings by old masters, sitting on a stoneware dish on my kitchen table. Their fragrant scent perfumes my kitchen, I’m going to leave them like this a little longer while I’m trying to figure out what to do with them. I could make jam or poach them or make a Tarte Tatin with them. Anyone have any ideas, any good / old family recipes? Please let me know?

So there, another great week. How was yours?

Look for more Fave Five posts at Susanne’s Living to tell the Story .

25 comments:

quilly said...

I am so glad your passport is up to date. I am already making Jientje plans!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I didn't realize you were sick and I'm glad you are feeling better.
quince is something we don't do a lot with here in New England. I have always wanted to try making jam but never have really had the quince to do it with. To bad I am not closer to you...then I could see that beautiful harbor in person!

Wanda..... said...

Hi Jientje...Glad you are well...I have seen recipes online for Quince Pie and Quince Apple Pie...have never made it though, but it looks delicious!

Dimple said...

When you mentioned quince, and especially when you asked for ideas I thought of a blog I read, Chocolate and Zucchini. I searched the site for "quince." The search results are here: http://chocolateandzucchini.com/search.php?cx=partner-pub-6113414092224219%3Aojjmakyoggt&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&q=quince&sa=Search#1353

I've never seen a live quince, but the recipe for Vanilla Poached Quince sounds good.

Unknown said...

I am so glad your paperwork is in order and taken care of. Your pictures are, as always, just lovely. And you sould shoot some still lifes of the quince.

Carletta said...

Lovely collage of your week Jientje!
Glad you are finally feeling like yourself again. My Hubs had shingles so I know how it was for you. It isn't pleasant. Let's hope this is your last encounter with them.

moneythoughts said...

I looked at the photographs you suggested, and they are very nice. They look like photos taken by a guy. When you learn the technical side of photography, there will be very few people that will take more interesting pictures than you. There are now, with cell phone cameras, literally millions of people in the world taking pictures, but only a very few have the imagination to create a new vision. Yes, keep taking pictures.

Susanne said...

I'm glad you are feeling better! And that your passport is now all finished. I've been procrastinating getting mine done because of the waiting in line thing too.

Willow said...

I'm glad you're better and you healed so quickly. I agree that getting paperwork done quickly deserves to be a Fave Five. What a happy week you've had!

Libby's Library said...

I am so jealous...I would so very much like to see you!
So glad that you are doing better, and that you are getting all your ducks in a row (perfect for an Idoms post - oh wait, I think you already did that one:-)

Eve said...

Glad to hear you've beaten the shingles. Never had them, but watched hubby go through the pain a couple times. I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip to the US.

Anonymous said...

simply beautifully captured shot....lovely!

Brenda said...

So glad you are over your shingles, that is so painful. I really have never seen quince before, not sure if I ever even heard of it before. They look a lot like pears to me.

Loree said...

Oh wow, I thought those were pears. DO they taste like pears? I am so glad that you are better and that you've beat the shingles virus.

Christine said...

So glad to hear that the singles are under control. I have never had to deal with them but John had a bad case of them last year and they were very very painful.

Sorry that I have not been around much lately. Today I have been trying to catch up on the blog world.

I love all your photos as usual. You do inspire me.

Anonymous said...

What a Great week you had. Especially getting healthy and beating the shingles. I've never heard of Quince before...interesting. And what a nice surprise from your husband. Excellent week my Belgian Bombshell :) Aloha Dang my typos LOL

Betty W said...

I´m glad you´re feeling better. I´ve never had shingles, but I heard they are very painful.
Great photo collage!

Melli said...

I thought they were PEARS! I've nothing for quince! Haven't a clue! I'm SO glad you're feeling better though! And I'm glad you got insurance for your trip - because getting sick on vacation is NO fun and very expensive without it! With insurance you are nearly guaranteed not to need it!

I spent my day on a nearly useless adventure today. Hardly got ANY photo's and was way too close to way too off limits water! How FRUSTRATING!

Lisa notes... said...

Glad you are over the shingles. I hear they are quite horrible. That sunset is breathtaking. Great job.

kayerj said...

love your friday posts :)

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I didn't realize you were sick Jienje, glad that you got it under control and are feeling much better. Liked the sunset pictures, the one of the sun reflecting off of the Ship is wonderful.

Kari said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. i love the pink sunset.
You do take some beautiful pictures.
happy weekend.

Jientje said...

@ quilly : Yaaaay!!!!
@ hip chick : Quince really seems to be a forgotten fruit. Too bad, they smell heavenly!
@ Wanda : I am sure I'm going to find the right recipes.
@ Dimple: I have bookmarked the link Dimple, thanks a lot!! Vanilla poached sounds wonderful!
@ Lou: Still life with quince? Coming up!!!
@ Carletta: This time I managed to get over it real quick. I'm so grateful for that!
@ Fred: I will, you can count on that!!! Comments like yours are what keep me motivated.
@ Susanne: Yeah, I hate wasting time waiting in lines. Glad that's done!
@ Willow:Yes, I got over it real quick, thank God for that!I had a great week, yes.
@ Libby: I love that idiom!!
@ Eve : It's getting nearer every day now!!
@ :: flyingstars :: Ummmm?
@ Brenda: They look like pears, but they're much harder, and the fragrant scent is just wonderful.
@ Loree: No, I don't think they taste like pears, and you cannot eat them like this. They have to be poached.
@ Christine : John had them last year? On top of everything else? Poor guy!! Never mind about visiting or not visiting, don't you worry about that? You hae enough on your plate as it is. You're my friend and you always will be. Hugs dear.
@ Thom : Yes, the book is lovely and I am glad I beat that virus so quickly!!
@ Betty: Painful indeed. But it's over now!
@ Melli : Can't wait to hear about your adventure!!
@ Lisa notes: Yes, the sunset was a real treat!
@ kaye: I always enjoy doing them!
@ Bill: I'm glad you like them. Have a great week yourself Bill. Love your sunset header by the way!!
@ Kari: Thanks!! That sunset was beautiful, I agree.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're feeling better! I swear my to do list gets longer and longer and never shortens. lol

Jientje said...

@ Lisa: Thanks, so am I!!
And that list never ends, I know.

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive