About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Thousand Words in Idioms

"A Thousand Words in Idioms"


As long as people have been around, they have tried to communicate with each other. As a means of getting the message across as clearly as possible, idioms and sayings have found their way into our language. Now, because "a picture paints a thousand words", I thought it would be nice to make this a photo challenge. The idea is to choose an idiom, or a saying, (even slang is allowed) and illustrate it with a picture. You can find the first edition here if you need some inspiration.




If "language is the dress of thoughts" ( Johnson), then idioms must the wardrobe


From now on everybody can join in. No need to follow the alphabet, just pick two idioms and illustrate them with your pictures. Grab that camera or look in your archives. Just be creative, that's all I'm asking!
And don't forget to have fun and visit one another, okay?


Okay, before you scroll down, let me warn you. And maybe even an apologize is in order here. You know, this post contains pictures of food, so I’ll probably make you hungry again. But what’s even worse is that there is a picture of me in it too. A very crappy one at that. It’s blurry, I had a bad hair day, I’m terribly camera shy and I do NOT look good in pictures. I DREAD to have my picture taken.
I prefer to hold the camera instead of facing it, believe me.
But it does show the idiom I want to use today perfectly, so there. I’m sorry.


Now scroll past it please!!!


The idiom I picked today is : “ To have a lot on one’s plate” and meaning
a) you have a lot of things to do,
or
b) you have a lot of issues to deal with in life.


And the second one:

In the soup: If you're in the soup, you're in trouble.

I’m very anxious to see what you’re going to come up with this week.
Please join the fun, it’s really not that hard, and I would LOVE to welcome a couple more players? Don’t forget to sign the Mr Linky?

26 comments:

quilly said...

Oh for that soup and salad! You made me hungry and it's way past my bedtime!

I like your spikey hair.

Wanda..... said...

Jientje, that was a very lovely photo of You with Spikes, Soup and Salad! But I so understand your aversion to photos of yourself...I have the same problem!!!

moneythoughts said...

Nice pictures.

Dr.John said...

Great pictures . One could almost reach in and eat that food.
The idioms were very well illustrated.

Barbara H. said...

I like seeing pictures of bloggers! It helps to have a face to put with the name.

I had never heard the second one. I haven't eaten breakfast yet, so I am indeed hungry, but I don't feel guilty since I am planning to eat in a moment anyway. :-)

Heidi said...

You look great with your full plate. I would say we have a full plate over here. But I am trying to stay out of the soup.

Have a wonderful day,Jientje (I always say gee-ent-gee) whenever I write your name, or I can't remember how to spell it. But I know it is Gene- chu, so if I meet you , I hope I will say "hello Gene-chu" and not "hello gee-ent-gee".

Melli said...

I WANT that plate! And I am ALWAYS in the Soup! (hubby got the credit card bill last night... ooooohhhh SOUPY!) LOL!

Goodness woman - 2Thinks calls you Gee-ent-gee and I call you Zhan-tay... you are NEVER going to know who you are!!! But when I find you at the airport - I'll be the one holding the sign that says "Thom's Belgian Bombshell!" ROFL!!!

kayerj said...

oh you look fine!

the food looks wonderful! and I love how you've illustrated the idioms.

thanks for your kind comments on my short story.

Carletta said...

Oh Jientje - a fashionable spikey hairdo! I don't like having my picture taken either - never have.
These are great idioms and well portrayed by your images! The salad looks delicious.
Thanks for linking me. :)

Nessa said...

You look as yummy as the food.

Unknown said...

I bet you are excited for your holiday coming up! for some reason I have missed a few of your posts and scrolling down I was in total awe once again! I actually was writing a note to my daughter this morning and while I was writing it I realized I used an idiom! "went off without a hitch" (regarding a wedding) "if the shoe were on the other foot" (regarding my upcoming surgery)! But without pictures...I thought it silly to post. The soup looks delicious and I can't BELIEVE you "ate the whole thing" (idiom?) hehehehe I think I like the fun!

Unknown said...

You are lovely. It's terrible you're so shy. I have seen so few pictures of you. And you ARE lovely. And so is all that food.

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Great idioms Jientje, oh and to quote Ferando Lamas {As Played by Billy Crystal} "You Look Marvelous". Now when I come and read this wonderful blog I have a face to go with it.

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Here is trying to post for a second time, the first time got an error from blogger.

Loved the idioms, and to quote Billy Crystal playing Ferando Lamas "You look Marvelous".

Now when I come to visit, I'll have a face to go with this beautiful blog.

Anonymous said...

Women...a bad hair day ROFLMAO. I think it was a gret photo myself. and by the looks of it, so does everyone else. These are wonderful photos and I love your idioms. Well done my friend. And now yes, I'm hungry :) Looks finger lickin' good :)

James said...

Hi Jientje, You are very clever with these idioms. The food looks great and for me everday is a bad hair day. One day I'll stop hiding my hair in a baseball cap and just get a haircut. If I don't I'll be in "hot water" with my wife.

Avril said...

Love your idioms! and all your photos!! (LOL at the washing flapping about in the breeze!!!)
Gosh, I realise I haven't visited you for days now!!! Many thanks for your comments on 'my bad week' - much appreciated! DIL improving little bit daily.

Suki said...

Hi Jientje, you always amaze me with the way you explain your idioms!!! So creative of you!!

Betty W said...

I hate having my picture taken as well! But I like yours. And you´re eating such a healthy meal! :)
I will have to think about this for next week and come up with an idiom for then.
Great post!

The French Bear said...

Looks good, I like being in the soup! Good choices, ha ha.....
I had one on my blog and didn't know I was playing, just kidding, you know, buttons to dye for? Isn't that one, if it isn't then it's better that I don't play ha ha...... I used boiling water and Rit dye, use an old jar and dye your button whatever color you want! Black for some reason only dyes them gray, don't know why. That beautiful array of tan to olive green is from tan dye. Good luck!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Jientje said...

@ quilly: I warned you about the food didn't I?
@ Wanda: You don't need to be shy Wanda, you look gorgeous!
@ moneythoughts: Thanks Fred.
@ Dr.John : LOL! Imagine finding both plates empty the next day?
@ Barbara H.: I like seeing others. Mine not so much. Quilly once said she always needs to keep a snack at hand when she visits here!
@ 2Thinks: It's better to stay out of the soup, I agree; my plate is never empty either!
Heidi is a lot easier to pronounce than "gene-chu", true. Looking forward to meet you!
@ Melli: Zhan-tay? Sounds Japanese! ROFL!!
LOL at the sign, just make sure you do not cause a bomb alarm at the airport, or you will be in the soup!!!
@ kaye: Thanks Kaye, I look fine when I look in the mirror, but not when I see pictures of me?
@ Carletta: You're welcome Carletta!
@ Nessa: LOL!
@ Linda Higgins: Yes, I am excited and counting the days. Join in on the fun, please, it's not that hard, grab your camera and take a picture of that other foot. It's FUN!!
And umm.... I did not eat the whole plate, no, it was way too big for me.
@ Lou : Thanks Lou. You make my day. As always.
@ Bill : Thanks for the compliment. It should have been a better picture though.
@ Thom : Just know that I'm scared to death of being photographed by you!!!
@ James : Never mess with your wife James. Just get that haircut.
@ Avril: Aaah, the laundry header? I like that one!!! I'm so glad things are looking better now Avril.
@ Zen : I'm a visual person, that's it.
@ Betty : That salad was LOVELY, delicious AND healthy. A rare combination in restaurant food sometimes. Can't wait to see what you'll come up with!!!
@ Margaret: I'm still in the soup, I don't know what Rit dye is. They don't sell that here. Is it something like Dylon clothes dye?

MaR said...

I know the feeling, I feel much better behind the camera myself!!
I like your pictures (and idioms!!), though, love your hair and you seem such a fantastic cook, how wonderful!

Loree said...

I would love to join but not sure I have the right pictures for idioms. Maybe if I look at them with idioms in mind, I will come up with something.

Gattina said...

Hahaha ! the picture with you is priceless ! You look soooo happy ! what a nice photo !

Robynn's Ravings said...

Please let me post those pictures on the 30 Day Throw Down blog, Jientje! I'll give you full credit!! THIS is what food should look like. Compare THAT to fast food. I haven't eaten since 2:30 this afternoon - no time. I'm doing 16-18 hr. days now. I've been writing and researching for seven hours straight. I should go to bed. It's 12:56 a.m. Of course, when I saw your food I remember I hadn't eaten. But I don't want to eat ANYthing but that SALAD especially! Did you make it or are you at a restaurant? I want to know EACH ingredient and what dressing you used. Okay. I might be stalking you now. This is going too far! lol

Jientje said...

@ Mar : Only the soup was made by me, that salad was at a restaurant .
@ Loree : PLEASE do. It's not as hard as yyou think it is? You can use your archives? And look up the idioms on the net? If I can do it, anyone can.
@ Gattina : Hmmm, priceless? Don't think so!
@ Robynn :OF COURSE you can!!! Oh my Robynn, you really are a very busy bee, but don't forget to eat? I had that salad at a restaurant when I was having lunch with a blogger friend of mine!! It had different types of salad, tomato, pineapple, melon, carrots, you name it! And baked chicken fillet. But they forgot the dressing and I did not mind. I don't like dressings much.

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive