About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A thousand Words in Idioms, Handy



"A Thousand Words in Idioms"


As long as people have been around, they have tried to communicate with each other. As a means of getting the message across as clearly as possible, idioms and sayings have found their way into our language. Now, because "a picture paints a thousand words", I thought it would be nice to make this a photo challenge. The idea is to choose an idiom, or a saying, (even slang is allowed) and illustrate it with a picture. You can find the first edition here if you need some inspiration.




If "language is the dress of thoughts" ( Johnson), then idioms must the wardrobe


From now on everybody can join in. No need to follow the alphabet, just pick two idioms and illustrate them with your pictures. Grab that camera or look in your archives. Just be creative, that's all I'm asking!
 
I’m using the pictures I took of the Christo Rei statue in Lisbon last year as a theme for my idioms. It’s a very tall statue overlooking the city of Lisbon. I’m including this picture to give you an idea how tall it is. You can buy a ticket to use the elevator which takes you all the way to the top. It’s well worth it, the view from the top is stunning.
 
 
IMG_4135j comp
 
As you probably all know by now, even when I’m at the top, I still tend to look up as well when I’m taking pictures. I had just recently gotten my (previous) new camera,  so of course I had to try some new angles and find out how far my zoom would reach. Anyway, I digress. We’re talking idioms today, right?  Here we go. 

 
”Receive someone with open arms” : to greet someone eagerly

“At one’s fingertips” : something is within one's reach.

 

Sorry for the blurry finger, but I’m so glad I never deleted it. My archives turned out to be quite “handy”     this time!

Don’t forget to sign Mr Linky if you’re playing, okay? Oh and please, join in? It’s FUN!!

 

16 comments:

quilly said...

I love the blurry fingertip! It made me grin.

That shot of Christ with his arms extended is magnificent! That whole statue is magnificent! And so are your idioms.

Susan at Stony River said...

I love that statue; I've never seen it person or from these angles before. I agree with Quilly about liking the fingertip! It makes me feel more like I'm right there.

Would you believe, I remembered to do one *again*? Considering how forgetful of everything I usually am, I'm very proud of myself! LOL

Wanda..... said...

Your camera and you together are great Jientje...the robe on the statue looks like real Linen.

Barbara H. said...

I love the angles of both of these! And besides being great illustrations of great idioms, they're quite beautifully symbolic as well -- Christ extending open arms of welcome and invitation to everyone, and being within reach of anyone who will turn to Him in faith.

MaR said...

Stunning shots, Jientje!! and perfect illustrations for your idioms. I saw the statue from the city itself, across the river. Beautiful!

kayerj said...

I love the spiritual symbolism.

Gattina said...

Wow ! very impressive ! Sometimes it's good not to delete pictures, you never know !

Dr.John said...

Great illustration of the idioms. I think the blurry finger adds to the picture.

Anonymous said...

Excellent photos and idioms my friend. How clever your last one was with the finger tip. Marvelous my Belgian Bombshell What a spectacular statue. And what I liked is you got so into the photos of it and when you said I digress..too funny...Wonderful Idioms You did very well today :)

Liz said...

Nice presentation of the idioms. I played too. :)

Melli said...

I loooooooove that statue and would SO like to see it in person! You got a GREAT shot of Him with those arms spread wide! THAT would be hanging on my wall! And what a blue sky DAY it was too! Oh... did you have IDIOMS here too??? LOL! Yes! They were good as well!

Heidi said...

I like the idioms today. Did you get another new camera? I thought you just got a new camera. If you got another new camera, then I will take your old camera :)

Unknown said...

You [artnered wonderful photos with two great idioms. Good job. Now I need to think of two idioms so I can play next week. ;-)

Robynn's Ravings said...

Reminds me of the Michael Angelo with God and man reaching out to each other!

Loree said...

Wow that last picture is spectacular.

Nessa said...

Great angles and of course the last one is quite clever.

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive