About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ruby Tuesday, Still Life with Quince

 

 

ruby-slippers-door-stop_copy

 

My friend Annie gave me a big bag of quince fruit last week. For now, their rustic look and their divine perfume create a lovely autumnal atmosphere in my kitchen. Not for long anymore, because they’re begging me to prepare them. And I will. Today.

But first I want to share these pictures with you. Lou suggested I’d do a still life with them, so I took them outside and had a little bit of camera fun with them.
I made a little composition with a small pumpkin and a vine leaf and tried a couple of different angles. 

Enjoy …




And if my plan works, there will be more rubies to come, because I did some research and it looks like they turn into a very pretty deep ruby color if you poach them. 
Well, not always, that is.
I’m just keeping my fingers crossed mine will?

More Ruby Tuesday posts at Mary’s Work of the Poet

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poach them? Is that like a poached egg where you boil them? They sure are beautiful. I would love to taste them as well :) Aloha my Belgian Bombshell :)

quilly said...

In one of the many places I lived during my marriage, our neighbors had a Quince tree. The lady gave me a wonderful shortbread cookie with Quince Jam. One bite. Delicious. I've never forgotten it.

Valerie said...

I love these pictures! Very well done!
Thanks for your visit to my blog! I am surely enjoying yours!

Wanda..... said...

The rusty patterns and moisture on the quince caught my eye in the first two photos, but the 3rd caught my aahhhs!!!....You are not alone...my comments have been eaten at other blogs too Jientje!!!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh those pictures are so beautiful I don't know how you will ever stop to cook them? I have always wanted to try making quince jam and I may just have to buy myself a quince bush. Of course I could always come and visit you...but that might be a bit costly.

Loree said...

I love the moisture droplets on the quince. Very pretty pictures.

Joyce said...

You are convincing me to sign up for a photo class this winter. Yes the pears will poach in wine and turn the most amazing color. Yummy too.
Joyce

United Studies said...

I've never tried one of those, but these pictures of yours make them look delicious!

Mar said...

Quince remind me of my childhood... sweet memories, your shots are fantastic as always.

James said...

They look great. It almost seems like I could reach into the monitor and grab one. Awesome pictures.

kayerj said...

the pictures are lovely, but I'm not sure what a quince fruit is.

Unknown said...

Wow. They look like I could reach out and grab one to eat.

Unknown said...

@kaye - quince is a fruit that comes from the Causcasus that is related to apples and pears.

Melli said...

They still look like pears to me! I can't wait to see what your quince dish comes out like! What do they TASTE like? The photos are beautiful! VERY autumnish!

Carletta said...

Excellent ruby macros!

Betty W said...

I´ve never had quince´s. What do they taste like. They look like pears. Are they similar?
Great shots!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great pictures. I don't think I've ever even seen a quince.

Regina said...

Yummy. Great shots!

Auntie E said...

Great fruit, love the taste. Happy RT

Heidi said...

Gimme that magic camera! I want the focus.

Great pics!

"a little composition" I like that photography lingo. I'll be using that soon.

Jientje said...

@ Thom : When you poach something you let it simmer, boiling, yes, but very gently. I wish I could let you taste them, they taste heavenly.
@ quilly : Another beautiful and sweet memory of yours. I love it.
@ Valerie : Thanks for the compliment Valerie, I'm enjoying yours too!
@ Wanda: Is that so? I was SURE I commented.
@ hip chick : Yes, possibly. But I do have enough jam to share some though? And it's delicious!
@ Loree : Yes, they add a little something, don't they?
@ Joyce : True, they did . And they taste wonderful.
@ Jacki : They are.
@ Mar : They are an old fashioned forgotten fruit are they? Having dealt with them in my kitchen yesterday, I can see why. It takes a lot of work!
@ James : Feel free!
@ kaye : Lou answered your question in one of his comments. They look like pears, but they are very very hard. You cannot eat them straight off the tree, they need to be baked or poached. They are an old fashioned forgotten fruit.
@ Lou: I wish I could give you a taste of one. But not like this. They NEED to be cooked first.
@ Lou: Thanks Lou! I did not know their origin!
@ Melli: They look a lot like pears, but they are much much tougher. Trying to explain what something tastes like is very difficult. There is a little bit of apple, a little bit of pear, a hint of melon, and then it all depends on the spices you add, cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla, some wine, honey ....
@ Carletta: Thanks!
@ Betty : Trying to explain what something tastes like is very difficult. There is a little bit of apple, a little bit of pear, a hint of melon, and then it all depends on the spices you add, cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla, some wine, honey ....
They are related to apples and pears, but you unlike pears, you cannot eat them raw, you HAVE to cook them.
@ Yogi♪♪♪: Thanks! Now you have!
@ Regina: They are yummy!
@ Auntie E : So do I!!
@ 2Thinks : photography lingo? LOL, I'd never thought I'd use that!

frogpondsrock said...

mmmmm quince paste YUM!!!

Anonymous said...

they look like pears I wonder what they taste like?

Jientje said...

@ frogpondsrock: It's delicious Kim, true!
@ Amanda: They are a lout tougher than pears. There is a little bit of apple, a little bit of pear, a hint of melon, and then it all depends on the spices you add, cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla, some wine, honey ....

Unknown said...

I never have had a quince - but it looks cool!

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive