About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday’s Fave Five Ups and Downs

 

friday fave five 12

I don’t think we can look at the calendar today and not think about what happened eight years ago today. September eleventh. Nine eleven. May the people that died there and the heroes who sacrificed their lives to save others  all rest in peace.
Let’s hope such cruel events never happen again. EVER.

 



1. Highlight of the week was my daughter’s birthday. She was on vacation in Greece, so we could not celebrate together, but I was with her in thoughts. Thanks for all the Birthday wishes you sent her in the comments, I’m sure she had fun reading them.

2. Baking. I had a little bit of fun baking biscuits from scratch. Wanda posted pictures of the the buttermilk biscuits she had made, and when I asked her for the recipe, she posted it in her sidebar. Thank you so much Wanda. The biscuits are easy to make and they taste delicious. I filled them with cream cheese and blackberry jam and smoked salmon and sour cream as part of our weekend brunches.

3. Lunch with my friend Nana: Tuesday morning I had lunch with my dear blogger friend Nana. A little bit of shopping, girl talk, lunch and a cup of coffee… 
Time passed much too fast again.

4. Photography class: Tuesday was the first lesson and I’m thrilled. I think this workshop is exactly what I was looking for, to learn and understand the technical aspects of my camera. Our teacher is a very artistic person, so I’m really looking forward to the next lessons and the excursions we’re going to do together.

5. Doctors and medication: It’s been months, maybe even years since I needed a doctor and I kind of forgot what it’s like to be ill. I’m not the kind of person who runs to the doctor for every little pain or itch, but this time I’m so glad I did. I got an appointment within the hour, and because of the quick diagnose and the strong medication my doctor prescribed me, it looks like I’m going to beat the shingles virus a lot faster than the first time I got it. That was Wednesday, it’s Friday morning now, I’m still in a lot of pain, and my energy level is still very low, I do need a lot of rest, but I’m hoping for a quick recovery.

So if I’m not around as much as you’re used to, please forgive me?

 

Look for more Fave Five posts at Susanne’s Living to Tell the Story.
Have a great week!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter :) What a wonderful Week you had. The photos are just great. Congrats on the photography class. Follow doctors orders and REST. Excellent FFF my Belgian Bombshell :) Well done and take care of yourself :)

Anonymous said...

And thank you for your comment about 9/11. :) Aloha

Wanda..... said...

Hope you feel better soon Jientje...so you can enjoy that photography class...can't imagine your photos being anymore special than they already are! Thank you Jientje, for the noting of me and my biscuits LOL...

Loree said...

Get well soon Jientje. Your photos always look good enough to eat LOL. The food ones of course;)

Prospero said...

Jientje, I sorry to hear about the shingles virus. Please take care. I like this photo set, it's so full of life.

Robin said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you're ill, shingles sounds like such a difficult illness to live with. I hope you're well and racing about again quickly.

United Studies said...

Shouldn't you be the one teaching a photography class?

Oh, and get well soon! My mom has had the same thing, and so I know it is not fun.

kayerj said...

hope you're feeling better soon, shingles is not fun. I’m remembering 9/11 today here’s my link Have a nice Friday!

Melli said...

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing as much of you in the blogosphere. Shingles is nasty and I do pray yours heal quickly! NO FUN at all!

Aside from that, sounds like you have had a lovely week! I just can't even imagine what the photography teacher can teach YOU! But I can't wait to see! I know it will be amazing!

You know... Lunch with a Nana is ALWAYS a special treat!!! :)

Kari said...

Happy birthday to your daughter.
And sorry to hear that you are not well. Speedy recovery.

Happy Friday.

Barbara H. said...

I am so sorry about the shingles. Glad it was caught and treated early and hope it goes away real soon.

A belated happy birthday to your daughter!

You take such wonderful photographs already -- but I imagine there is already more to learn.

Have a good weekend and get some rest.

Unknown said...

You have such talent. Your eye for composition is superb. I can't help but feel that once you know how to USE your camera - how to make it do more things than just 'automatic' - your eye will be enhanced by your technical knowhow and ability.

I can't wait to see what you do next.

Jerralea said...

Sorry to hear about the shingles, I've always heard they're really painful. I'm glad you got to the dr. right away.

Happy birthday to your daughter. A holiday in Greece sounds like a wonderful present.

I agree with one of the commenters: shouldn't you be the one teaching a photography class? If I lived close to you, I'd certainly enroll!

Brenda said...

So sorry to hear you have shingles, I hear that is very painful. What are the little balls with a stick in them in your picutres?

So glad you are taking a photography class, I always look forward to the pictures on your blog.

Susanne said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you are fighting that virus another time. I did not know you could get that more than once. Praying you have a quick recovery and your energy returns back to normal.

I'll bet you could teach the photography teacher a few things. :v)

Libby's Library said...

Love your new banner photo Jientje!

Hope you feel better very very soon. Shingles can be so painful, and I'm glad that you got in to see the doctor quickly.

Thank you for remembering this day...I did a special post about 9/11.

Quilly said...

Shingles! Oh my! I hope those antibiotics beat the crap out of it quickly!

I want biscuits! I am looking forward to Friday Harbor and cooler weather. It is just too hot here for striving in the kitchen and baking. There I may even start baking my own bread again! Yeah!

moneythoughts said...

I agree with Lou that you will gain a lot from the technical side, but you have Rembrandt's eye for composition and your sense of beauty.

Sorry to read about your health problem. Wish you a speedy recovery. You should get regular check ups because your doctor will get to know what is "normal" for you. Seeing a doctor just when you are sick is old school thinking. Your good health is something that should be addressed at least twice a year.

jay said...

What you call biscuits would probably be what we call scones? I love them with cream cheese and blackberry - or blackcurrant - jam! Mmmmm!!!

I'm glad you went to the doctor and got some good medication. Shingles is horrible! I haven't had it myself, but I've had cold sores, and the thought of that same pain across a wider area makes me wince for you. I hope you feel better soon!

Jientje said...

@ Thom: Thanks Thom. I will.
@ Thom : I could not ignore that Thom.
@ Wanda: Thanks Wanda, I hope so too. I want to get better and understand better what I'm doing. And the biscuits were delicious, as you probably knew from my comments!
@ Loree : Thanks! I would eat the food though, not the photos!
@ Prospero : I will take care, thanks.
@ Robin : I hope so too!
@ Jacki: There is still an awful lot to learn, I think. Shingles is no fun, indeed.
@ kaye: No one should ignore 9/11 today. Thanks!
@ Lilacspecs: Thanks Korie!
@ Melli: No it's not. But your prayers seem to help a lot. And I feel like I can still learn an awful lot. SQtanding next to that man, I feel like I know NOTHING!!
@ Kari: thanks!
@ Barbara H.: I hope so too! Thanks for the birthday wishes! Yes, still a lot to learn I think.
@ Lou: That's what I'm hoping to achieve, yes. Thanks for the compliment!
@ Jerralea: I'm glad I got an early diagnose too. It's not as bad as the first time. Not by a long shot! Thanks for the birthday wishes. And the confidence you have in me as a photographer!
@ Brenda: The are crab balls I made with leftover rice. I'll try and find a way to add the recipe in one of my next posts.
@ Susanne: Yup. You CAN!! Believe me! I wish I could teach that teacher a few things, but I don't think so!
@ Libby: Yes, the banner, I loved it the minute I photographed it! I could not ignore 9/11, just couldn't!
@ Quilly: I hope so too! You ARE counting the days till Friday Harbor, aren't you?
@ moneythoughts: Wow, a great compliment, coming from an Artist!
I know about the check up thing, and you're right. But I'm not a doctor's person.
@ jay : Scones, yes. They were delicious!! What you call biscuits would probably be what we call scones? I love them with cream cheese and blackberry - or blackcurrant - jam! Mmmmm!!!
Thanks for the compassionate comment, the pain is horrible indeed.

Unknown said...

Shingles sound painful! But the rest of your week sounds good - those biscuits look very tasty! Glad you're liking your photography class. :)

Jientje said...

@ Lisa: I like it very much, it's fascinating!

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive