About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Thousand Words in Idioms, the Farm Edition

"A Thousand Words in Idioms"


As long as people have been around, they have tried to communicate with each other. As a means of getting the message across as clearly as possible, idioms and sayings have found their way into our language. Now, because "a picture paints a thousand words", I thought it would be nice to make this a photo challenge. The idea is to choose an idiom, or a saying, (even slang is allowed) and illustrate it with a picture. You can find the first edition here if you need some inspiration.




If "language is the dress of thoughts" ( Johnson), then idioms must the wardrobe


From now on everybody can join in. No need to follow the alphabet, just pick two idioms and illustrate them with your pictures. Grab that camera or look in your archives. Just be creative, that's all I'm asking!
And don't forget to have fun and visit one another, okay?



So here we go ...

The farm edition ....
I have two pictures for one idiom today, because there is a story attached to this one.

"Were you born in a barn?"
If someone asks you this, it means that you forgot to close the door when you came in.

We were exploring the countryside of Normandy last year in May when we came across this barn. It had a sign, "gîte à louer", (room to let) which I found rather funny. So I got out of the car to make a series of pictures of this very photogenic cow and her shaggy lodgings. I had taken pictures from all angles, but only after a while I discovered the calf she was so cleverly hiding!

"Put lipstick on a pig"
If people put lipstick on a pig, they make superficial or cosmetic changes, hoping that it will make the product more attractive.

This sow was feeding her little piggies, and she had the most happy face I'd ever seen. No need to put lipstick on her to make her look good!!





Don't forget to sign the Mr Linky if you're playing? Can't wait to see what you'll come up with this week!

18 comments:

Nana said...

Oops,first again. ;-) I sure don't want to live in that barn!

Mar said...

These idioms are new for me!
The happy pig's face?? Priceless!!!

Gattina said...

I would love to put lipstick on this cute pig, but not change it ! nice findings !!

Anonymous said...

LOL...I love the put lipstick on a pig. Brilliant my Belgian Bombshell. They both were excellent :)

Quilly said...

Momma piggy doesn't need lipstick, she needs a washrag!

AND, did you find the room to let? Was there a tired mule a harried man and a pregnant lady already there?

Wanda..... said...

Jientje..."Perfection" these idiom photos are!!! I loved the barn sequence...but that pig needs way more than lipstick, but he/she seems very content!

moneythoughts said...

The words "lipstick on a pig" got into our political debate last year as you may know. We have such intellectual political debates in the states during our presidential elections.

I enjoyed your pictures, especially the first one of the open-ended barn. You do have a great eye, like in your profile picture.

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful photos! Gotta love a happy pig. ;-)

Barbara H. said...

Those are both perfect illustrations of their idioms. That barn is probably going to come to mind whenever I hear that phrase from now on. And I don't think lipstick would improve that piggy at all!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE the barn shot. amazing.

Melli said...

Ohhhh these are awesome photos - all of them! I DO love that pig though! That IS a smile!

kayerj said...

wonderful post, I often holler the first idiom at my grandkids as they run in and out. I have a fondness for cows and pigs and loved your pictures.

Unknown said...

I love the pig! i swear some days my kids were born in barns! :)

Unknown said...

My children has grown up with that saying about the barn door! So funny! Even to this day I have to remind my grown children NOT TO SLAM the door when closing the door, YOU WERE NOT RAISED IN A BARN! hehehehe fun post!

Dimple said...

I heard the born in a barn many times growing up. And that barn is something else! Looks like it has seen straighter days!

Tammie Lee said...

I love your photos, thoughts and perceptions!
Spirithelpers

Loree said...

I love that pig. She looks as happy as can be.

Jientje said...

@ Nana : It's the early bird that gets the worm!
@ Mar: cute eh?
@ Gattina: She does not need any!
@ Thom: Thanks!
@ Quilly: So true!
@ Wanda: Yes, I've never seen a happier pig!
@ moneythoughts: Oh dear, how awful!
@ Your EG Tour Guide: She was.
@ Barbara H.: No lipstick needed here!
@ Lou: Thanks Lou.
@ Melli: I had no idea pigs could smile until I saw her!
@ kaye: I don't think you're the only one!
@ lisa: Yup, you're not the only one!
@ Linda Higgins: We call it church go-ers here!
@ Dimple: I loved that barn!
@ Tammie Lee: Thanks!
@ Loree: Never seen a happier face!

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive