About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A whole day ahead of me ….

Day: A period of twenty-four hours, mostly misspent.

Ambrose Bierce




There is a whole day ahead of me,
so much
I want to do today.
I want to
clean up on the patio,
do the kitchen windows,
do the dishes,
change the bed sheets,
do the laundry,
possibly even iron it.
Sigh.
Vacuum and dust the living room.
Polish shoes,
work on my lace.


Have a cup of coffee,
read a magazine.
Two cooking programs I want to see on television.
Answer my comments and visit some blogs.
Make a floral arrangement.
Shoot some pictures.
This is getting me nowhere.
I’ll better get the show on the road.
Have a great day!!!


PS: I have an idea. I'll make this a live post and update it with pictures? Hmmm, I'll see what I can do. It might motivate me to get A LOT od stuff done. Hmmm...
So check in for updates every once in a while eh?

Hmmm, it's past noon allready, and so far my day has not been as productive as I had hoped it would be. It has started to rain, so instead of cleaning up the rest of my patio, all I really could do was to fill the birdfeeders. Cleaning windows is probably not a good idea either?
Well, that takes care of that then. On to the next chore, the dishes.


Proudly announcing ... the dishes are done! But somehow when I look at this picture, this does not look like a whole lot of dishes, no? Okay, I decluttered a little, cleared up a little here and there ... I left them out to dry though, trying to save some time and energy for my next chore.


Vacuuming the living room. While I was busy doing this (and while I was wondering why the hell I did not get sufficient power and where all the cat hair and the cat litter has gone to since it's not in the reservoir )*catching my breath here* that stupid thing dies on me!!! DUH!!
I spent the next half hour trying to clear the tube connected to the reservoir and I ended up cleaning the rest of the floor with my Swiffer mop.
And when that job was finished my vacuum cleaner decided to wake up from it's coma again.
So there, almost 1 PM and I've done the dishes, fed the birds, and vacuumed the floor!
I think I should call this post the adventures of a crappy housewife! DUH!!

Okay, well maybe I should give myself a little more credit. I HAVE spent some time figuring out how to make an "artsy" picture of a vacuum cleaner too ...

Three hours and sixty one pictures later ... update number two:

I took the sheets off the bed and wacked them into the washing machine. At least this one works all on his own, I thought. I switched the television to Travel Channel to keep me company while I dusted the furniture when I heard they're doing a program about Tasmania. Beautiful Tasmania, where my friend Kim lives. Time to relax a little, and watch this for a while. By then I was craving coffee, but I did not want to miss the rest of the program, so coffee had to wait ...

Next on the list ... polishing shoes.

And take pictures of course! I'm rather proud of that one actually, I like it, even if it does not show the other five pairs, all clean and shiny. You'll have to take my word for it!
Time for that cup of coffee now. Okay, okay, multitasking again, I know. I was leafing through a magazine trying to figure out what to eat AND photographing the hungry birds on the birdfeeder all at the same time! Yes, well, if I want to squeeze two days into one, I'd better know how to combine some of my tasks, my days are always too short as it is!
It's 4.45 PM now. If I want to work on my lace a little before I start supper, I'll better get a move on ...


Update 3: Seven fifteen PM. My hubby promised to be home by seven.
I did get to work on my lace a little. Not very long, a little less than an hour, but I'm happy!


Supper is in the oven and it's spreading a welcoming aroma all over the apartment.

There are clean sheets on the bed, and while I was cooking I even got to listen to a cooking program.

Looking back on my day, I don't think I'm a crappy housewife after all.
There is a lot of stuff still on my list, things left undone, but hey ...
Tomorrow is another day.

And there is a promise for some better weather in the air ...

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

That lace looks wonderful :) My Belgian Bombshell if you are going to do all of that you better get crackin' LOL. Night Night :) Aloha

Quilly Unshuttered said...

Whoa! That list is a whole week!

The lace looks lovely.

Geert said...

Hurry up, it's half past one, and apparently you've not done very much :-)

Mar said...

"Dust can wait", lol, I have read that many times, you busy bee.
You took very artsy pics of your daily chores, well done! Hope your afternoon is as productive as you'd like it to be.

moneythoughts said...

I drove yesterday to Detroit, Michigan and back home. A little family business. 10 hours total drive time with stops. That is how I spent my Monday. Sure glad I don't do that every day.

Wanda..... said...

That vacuum cleaner looks awfully clean...not a finger print on it anywhere...are you sure you use it or just daydream Jientje? :)

Dimple said...

I love the lace, and your dish drainer is beautiful! I have never seen one like that, ever! Mine is made of thick wire coated with plastic, just a low box with dividers, really.
And your morning may not have included all that you planned, but I'm sure you accomplished what was most needed!
On to the next item!

Melli said...

Wellllllllllll.... I'm not going to be home today... but I'll check BACK in later this evening - probably when you are in BED! However... do NOT miss MY blog today... there is camera fun waiting for you there!!!

United Studies said...

You know what..I could have written this blog, it is SO me today!! Getting back into the routine of things is more difficult than I thought it would be! :-)

Unknown said...

My goodness. Your photography leaves me breathless. I can't WAIT to see what you do to Chicago with your lens.

James said...

My wife and I were in Belgium earlier this year and saw some beautiful lace work in a shop. Now I know who makes it. :-)

kayerj said...

looks like a nice productive day to me. mine will be spent taking my mother to the doctor :)

Kristin - The Goat said...

What a hoot! I've spent a lot of time trying to take an artsy picture of a regular household item, but when I saw your vacuum photo I did think - "Wow, that's a cool shot." :) It made me think that I needed to actually dust my vacuum as it's reall dusty on the outside LOL

Great day! I've been working along right with ya, dishes, vacuuming, feeding the cat (instead of birds) and tossing in a load of wash.

Willow said...

I am checking blogs while I sit and drink my cup of coffee. I love your sequence of photos showing the launching of the hot air balloon. Brilliant!

Alida said...

What did you stuff the tomatoes with? They look delicious!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't think for one minute you are a crappy housewife. Quite the contrary my dear friend. You've been extremely busy today and these photos are just fantastic. How you get it all in is beyond me and then to take pictures on top of that...well that's is excellent and I love these photos :)

Unknown said...

Well if my day was anything like yours my Huhoney would think I was an absolute saint!I loved your pic on pic. I really need to explore a bit and try to present my pictures a bit more interesting. You had a busy day and I wish I were there to eat that 3rd stuffed tomato!

Jientje said...

@ Thom: You bet!
@ Quilly: I'm glad you like my lace.And yes, I was probably just a little bit too ambitious!
@ Geert: slavendrijver! Hoe is't met de gevel, is die al geschilderd?
@ Mar: I know dust CAN wait, but sometimes ...
and yes, the afternoon was very productive!
@ Fred: Oh dear, I think I prefer my chores at the house, yes!
@ Wanda: Yes Wanda, that vacuum cleaner IS awfully clean, and I'll tell you WHY. Have you ever made macro pictures inside your home? A macro lens sees EVERYTHING!! Knowing what I know, I cleaned my vacuum cleaner before I took pictures! And yes, I DO use it!! ;-)
@ Dimple: Thanks for the supportive comment, I did accomplish A LOT today, so true! Your comments kept me going!
@ Melli : Ooooh can't wait!!
@ Jacki: You are so much like me, I can imagine it's hard. But you'll be back into full swing soon enough!
@ Lou: Counting the days, I'm SO looking forward to see Chicago through my lens.
@ James: ROFL! It's a good thing I'm not the only one making it, or there would not be much lace in the shops!
@ kaye: Oh dear, I hope she's well?
@ Kirby3131:thanks for the support! It felt great not to be alone!
@ Willow: Thanks, I had fun doing this series!
@ Alida: Minced pork, shallots, oregano and thyme, an egg and some breadcrumbs mixed together. It was delicious. I might post the recipe next Saturday.
@ Thom: I was very busy, but I had so much fun taking the pictures! That was my little break in between chores! Never enough hours in a day for me!!

Maria said...

Hi! I enjoyed your pictures today! What a beautiful day you spent. I collected apples today and cleaned the area under our apple trees!
I'll be doing some baking and then more baking!
All the best, Maria
ps. I like the simplicity of your blog...it highlights your photos~

Jientje said...

@ Linda: I did feel a little bit like Cinderella for a moment there this afternoon!

Jientje said...

@ Maria: I envy you! Apples and baking apple pie is what makes me come to terms with Fall!!

Melli said...

ROFLMBO! You got waaaaaaaay more done in your day than I do on the average day! LOL! And yet... I would STILL title this post...

DISTRACTIONS of WONDERFUL Housewife! :)

Wanda..... said...

I came back this evening again...I am so impressed Jientje!!!

Unknown said...

I don't think you could misspend any hours! You have so much talent in so many areas you are always rocking my world!

Momisodes said...

You always amaze me. I love that you live blogged and updated with pics. I must say you had quite a productive day!

Ellie said...

Something new - something old - something pretty - something practical - you caught the life in all its moods. The pins of your lace work are my absolute favorite!

Gabriel said...

Your pictures are getting more and more beautiful, sky is the limit for you. It's a real treat to come and visit your blog!

Loree said...

You make the most mundane of tasks look beautiful through your photos. I think you got quite a lopt done and your food pictures always make me hungry :)

Suki said...

Wow your pictures are fantastic! You make housework seem so cool!!!

Suburban Girl said...

The camera makes getting through the day so much more fun! Love the lace photo.

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive