About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Connecting people …



The sound of heavy rain on a metal carport roof. A tropical storm, nothing compared to Belgian rain. I was listening to a Hawaiian rainstorm.
I “met” the mellifluous voice behind a blog URL and a profile picture .
We talked and talked and laughed for almost an hour and there were never any awkward silences. At least, as long as the headphone was plugged in the right way, there were none. And as long as the storm did not nibble at the Internet connection.  

She cracked me up with her funny sense of humor.
I even overheard a He said/She said conversation. Those are REAL, I heard them!
I just KNOW I’m going to love meeting them.

Different voice, much lower this one. A slight smoker’s cough when he bursts out laughing.
Aaaah???  Nope, he has not given up smoking yet. I even caught him light one.
LOL! Yeah, that’s what you get when you make a video call!
Thom is the same guy he is in his comments. Good humored, very thoughtful and always ready to lend a helping hand.
Now I KNOW he’s going to hate me for saying this, I think I might be destroying his evil image, but I don’t care!

I was talking to my friends Quilly and Thom through Skype and it brought us even closer together. Meeting them  - along with all the other friends I’m going to see  - for real is going to be the most wonderful thing. Having to say goodbye will break my heart, I already know that now. That’s why it’s a such a comforting thought I’ll still be able to talk to them and see them once my trip is over. 

IMG_1631


It’s a small world after all…

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

You women...I just can't win for nothing LOL. My image is going to be tarnished for life...DRATS!!! Ah the wonders of skype...It's been fun seeing and chatting with you. I can't wait til you get here my Belgian Bombshell :)

quilly said...

I was going to blog about this but you said you wanted to, so I decided to wait. I am so glad I did -- this post is wonderful and you have made me feel very special. You even made Thom look good! ;)

Nessa said...

Lovely post. Video "calls" are wonderful. I talk to my daughter this way. It's great.

Thursday Thirteen - Useless Knowledge

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to round up the stuff I need - but I think I just found a brand new thing to do during lunch. In the morning I'm not presentable, and by the time I get home from work, you are abed. But. LUNCHTIME. Would be perfect, yes?

Wanda..... said...

It was fun easedropping in on you guys, sounds as if it will be like old friends getting together!

Gattina said...

how nice you could talk to them ! and it's so true the world becomes smaller and smaller.
This weekend we have our paintings exposition, so this morning we hang up all our "masterpieces" and tomorrow I have to do the flower arrangements together with another "girl". Saturday and sunday is the Exposition with all the Waterloo VIPs for the "Vernissage".

Melli said...

Do you have to have earphones? I don't have any. And my big computer doesn't have a webcam ... and my laptop keeps telling me the webcam doesn't work... So I don't know if we would be able to do the seeing part. I have to look into it... but I'm not sure this is something I want. We'll see! :)

Susanne said...

Skype is a wonderful thing.

MaR said...

Technology is a wonderful tool to bring us nearer. So your goodbye to your dear friends will actually be a "goodskype" and I am truly happy for you.

Islandsparrow said...

I skype with my oldest son and dil in London UK. It's great - they have a camera too so we can see around their little flat. It makes the distance much easier to bear.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

I love Skype but always forget to use/sign in to it!

kayerj said...

I'm so excited for you :)

Betty W said...

I have skype too, but I don´t really use it much, because of the echos, or the bad connections. For me it´s just simpler using the good ole phone.... :)

Unknown said...

OH MY GOODNESS I can't believe you didn't share your upcoming birthday sooner! Shame on you! Your trip sounds so fantastic. You are going to some wonderful places my friend. I know you will be well taken care of. SKYPE! I have video thingy on my computer, I have just never gotten into skype! I would love to visit with you too when you return and find time, between our countries time warp zones! It would be so fun to visit with you! Isn't blog land absolutely amazing!? OH my I am so excited for you to explore America and see such different part of this country. Chicago and west coast are sooo different! LA...wow, very different! I have always wanted to see Hawaii and someday will. Finally went to Alaska this year and it was amazing. So sad that you can't see the mid-west and the Grand Canyon only a couple hours drive from my home...maybe another trip ey? Thank you so much for you kind and warm well wishes on my behalf. I am truly blessed and I DO FEEL SO MUCH BETTER! HUGS and miles of smiles....

Korie said...

Hehe, apparently you'll be meeting blogging americans sooner than you thought. I can't believe our luck!

Dr.John said...

I don't even know what Skype is but I'm glad you got to talk to them.
I am getting excited about your trip.

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Friends are to Cherish, you will have a good time visiting.

Christine said...

I think I have Skype but have never used it and not really sure how. I have web cammed with the kids on MSN.

Are you talking about your November trip? Remember to talk to Invisible Mo aka Shelia. She is just a hop skip and a jump away. I however am now miles and miles away. :(

Loree said...

Skype is great al though I have never used it myself. But it's a great way to keep in touch with friends all over the world.

Jientje said...

@ Thom : I think your image was ruined already. ROFL!! It's been nice talking to you too!
@ quilly : Yeah, how about that eh?
@ Nessa: It is, it's wonderful.
@ Lou: It would!
@ Wanda : oh, I am SURE it will be.
@ Gattina :busy busy busy!
@ Melli : Earphones is better. But don't worry about it if you don't like it!
@ Susanne: I think so too!
@ Mar: You said it so well!
@ Islandsparrow : Indeed!
@ Kristi: Yes, we tend to forget about stuff sometimes, true!
@ kaye : So am I!!
@ Betty : a headset takes care of that, no?
@ Linda Higgins: I WILL be well taken care of, I feel very very welcome! You're a great friend. I'd love to have you visit! We should, I'd love that!
@ Lilacspecs : Neither can I!!
# Dr.John : So am I, it's going to be wonderful!
@ Bill ~ {The Old Fart} : I'm SURE I will!
@ Christine: I'd love to talk with you through Skype. My dear friend, you had to go through so much, it's so sad we're so far apart! Hugs dear xxx
@ Loree : I think so too. Being able to talk to someone halfway across the world is awesome!

Unknown said...

It is so fun connecting with bloggers! Glad you guys had a good chat! I cannot wait to meet you!!! I am poking around trying to find a good spot, feel free to poke too if you like, but we'll figure it out before you get here. :)

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive