About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Monday, October 5, 2009

Macro Monday, Butterfly, my Butterfly …


mm


Sometimes when I see a picture, I get a song in my head. And every once in a while the song brings back beautiful memories. Like this one, “Butterfly” by Daniel Gerard.
It was in the early seventies, and butterflies were highly fashionable back then. I had a butterfly sticker on my handbag, and the jumper with the butterfly was my favorite piece of clothing. Even the brownish colors of this butterfly remind me of that era.
I was sick in bed, I had the flu, I was feeling really really miserable. My mother brought me hot tea with lots of lemon and honey. My small portable radio – which had been a gift for my holy communion - kept me company.


And then I heard this song, and despite the sore throat, I could not help myself, I just HAD to sing along with it. This song made my day.
Every time I hear it now, it takes my memory back to this very day.
And every time I see an orange and brown butterfly, I hear this song in my head …


BUTTERFLY

DANIEL GERARD

Fell in love in the wink of an eye
With the girl who was called Butterfly
She said she loved me so
She could not let me go
But still I had to say goodbye



Butterfly my Butterfly
I'll come home to you one day
Butterfly my Butterfly wait for me don't fly away




Never fly in the heat of the sun
Close your wings when the long day is done
Stay home and wait for me
Till I get back and then counting
The minutes one by one




When a man longs to be free
He will sail to the end of the sea
I won't be gone too long
But while I travel on just close
Your wings and wait for me

Find more Macro Monday posts, at Lisa’s Chaos.

Have a great week!

26 comments:

quilly said...

Beautiful butterfly snapshots! This song is new to me. It is lovely, too!

Wanda..... said...

Nice that you captured the butterfly and bee...posed and sipping at the same time. I have a piece of jewelry(pin) and a metal bookmarker(gift from my mother)of the same butterfly.

moneythoughts said...

Love the pictures, especially the last one that shows the thickness of the butterfly's wing. Great shot! As for the song, haven't heard it before; however, it sounded quite nice.

margie/soeursdujour said...

i love the first shot, with the flower in the foreground and the butterfly behind. really terrific photos this week. congrats.

Loree said...

Beautiful shots. I love all the details of the flower in the first shot.

kayerj said...

I just fell in love . . .

Nessa said...

Beautiful butterflies. Pretty song, too, but I don't think butterflies are good at waiting.

Melli said...

Gorgeous! If I'm not mistaken, I think that is our Maryland State Butterfly! I wonder how it got all the way to Belgium!? LOL! Such a pretty song too!

Heidi said...

I like this story you told to go with these pictures. There are many songs that come to mind for me in various instances- reminders of my childhood etc. I know what you mean about that.

I love butterflies and how they start out as gooshy capsules of guts crawling around on the ground or on leaves, eating, eating, eating, then spinning a cocoon and emerging into the beauty of who they are meant to be, rewarded with wings that carry them far and wide afield to decorate the landscape for us all.

Some are even really moths, yet still are absolutely gorgeous in their fragility and brevity of life.

Unknown said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

Betty W said...

Fantastic shots!! And a beautiful memory to go with it!

James said...

A bitter sweet memory. I love the beautiful photos. I wanted to hear more of that catchy song. "Butterfly my Butterfly" I 'm singing. :)

Karen said...

Jientje, your pictures are so beautiful. I found your blog through Susanne at Living to Tell the Story.

Unknown said...

Your shots are gorgeous as usual!
And no, I'm not going to listen to that song, or I will have it in MY mind as well ;)
I need to get back into the meme game, I miss it :)

So far I've seen one sort of butterfly around here :)

MaR said...

Beautiful butterfly shots!!
Haven't taken any macros lately, but that shall change!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures my Belgian Bombshell and what a story to tell. I've never heard this song before. It was beautiful. Goes right along with this GREAT photos. :) xoxoxox

Suki said...

Amazing photos! Such a small creature and yet unbeknownst to it, it managed to evoke such different feelings in all the persons who wrote their comments.

Michelle said...

What fantastic shots. I love the angle on the first shot with the butterfly on the opposite side of the flower. Very neat.

You can find my Mm shot on

http://michelle-onecraftymama.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Oh so pretty! I love that you got a butterfly AND a bee!!

Jientje said...

@ quilly : According to Wikipedia it has been recorded in the States too. But it was probably not as big there as it was here.
@ Wanda : How precious!!
@ moneythoughts : one of my favorites at 13!!
@ margie/soeursdujour : Thank you, I love how it came out too.
@ Loree : Yes, I like how the butterfly is blurred out and the flower is nice and crisp.
@ kaye : You did?
@ Nessa : I had the very same thoughts when i read the lyrics!!
@ Melli : Aaaah well, it probably remembered heaven is in Belgium? Wouldn't you think?
@ 2Thinks: You said it so well, thanks for a wonderful comment Heidi.
@ Lou: Thank you, thank you, thank you!
@ Betty : Yes, it is.
@ James : I love that song James, it's been in my head all day!
@ Karen : So nice to meet you Karen!
@ NicoleB : Only one?
@ Mar : That sounds exciting!! New camera? New lens?
@ Thom : I'm so glad you liked the song Thom. One of my favorites from way back when.
@ Zen : Butterflies seem to do that to people.
@ Michelle : Yes, I kind of liked the blurred out butterfly too.
@ lisaschaos : Yes, cute eh?

Dr.John said...

What a wonderful way to illustrate great butterfly pictures.

Islandsparrow said...

I remember that song!

and also the 70's butterflies - decals and little badges on our jeans. I had forgotten - thanks for the memory.

and also for the gorgeous butterfly shots!

Libby's Library said...

If I ever get to the point, where I'm a fraction as good as you are...I'll be a very happy camper!
Beautiful Photo's, Jientje.

Unknown said...

Goodness what photo award winning shots! Simply breath taking.
Happy Twirls

The Retired One said...

These were just awesome!
Sorry I haven't commented in a while..I am behind in reading my fav blogs due to being away from my computer for a while....
I love your blog and am getting slowly caught up.
I can't wait for you to come to the USA and take photos!!! If you come to Michigan, let me know!
;-}

Geert said...

Ik ben een planten-persoon. En vind de Verbena Bonariensis onder de vlinder het mooiste stukje van de foto's.

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive