About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Thousand Words in Idioms, Getting Over It …


"A Thousand Words in Idioms"


As long as people have been around, they have tried to communicate with each other. As a means of getting the message across as clearly as possible, idioms and sayings have found their way into our language. Now, because "a picture paints a thousand words", I thought it would be nice to make this a photo challenge. The idea is to choose an idiom, or a saying, (even slang is allowed) and illustrate it with a picture. You can find the first edition here if you need some inspiration.




If "language is the dress of thoughts" ( Johnson), then idioms must the wardrobe


Two more Idiom Wednesdays after this one.
The last one will appear on October 21st, as I will be leaving for the States the week later. I can’t travel and host a meme all at the same time, can I? So if you’re still hesitating if you want to play or not, grab your camera or dig into your archives and join us!  It’s FUN and it’s not hard at all!
Now, because this meme is coming to an end, I have a special treat for you all. 
I have three pictures and three idioms instead of two.
Yes, I guess I’m breaking my own rules here, how about it eh?

Now please don’t …



Get worked up about something
: If you get worked up about something,
you become upset, or you get annoyed.  

IMG_8147

When you’ve recovered from the first shock a little, you can either
Get a grip on yourself : If you get a grip on yourself, you make an effort to control your  feelings so as to be able to deal with a situation..

or… 


you could go to pieces :
If you go to pieces, for example after a terrible shock, you are so upset or distressed that you cannot lead your life normally.

I hope you folks won’t go to pieces over this. After all, there are two more weeks left to play after this one, two weeks to get used to the idea and to try and figure out how you’re gonna live without Idiom Wednesday. ROFL!!!
 

It’s been fun, I loved every minute of it, but remember, it’s not over yet.
Oh and um, … anyone have any ideas about a new photo challenge? Let me know?  

Just sign Mr Linky and see who else is playing, okay?

21 comments:

Gattina said...

I love this lady's outfit ! Makes me think of my Halloween costume, lol ! For the first time in my life I am invited to a Halloween party !
You were right to not come to Brussels ... it rains cats and dogs ! wouldn't have been fun !
If you want I can take over the Idioms during your absence. Just let me know.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jientje, Fantastic photos, Have a wnderful time in the states, I know it will be wonderful. Thank you so much for your sweet comments and worrying about me but the truth is we have been so busy these last few months it has been impossible to keep the blog going, I miss it though big time and visiting all my fave places.

We are in England right now for a family wedding it was so lovely to see everyone and we have more travels for the next few months, I am so hoping I can get back to blogland by December. I have thousands of photos to share.

So for now, have fun and enjoy all your travels and I will pop back when I can, see ya soon, Kathy

Kathy said...

Oh I wonder why this came out as anonymous, it's Kathy from Casa-Dolce-Casa, I will try again, I have been away from blogging so long I have forgotten how it works hehe.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post my Belgian Bombshell. The idioms are so wonderful and you tell such a great story with them and the photos so describe the idioms perfectly. This has been one of the funnest Meme's I've participated in and got me into photography. I'm still no good but it sure is fun. I'm going to miss it :) But I'm sure another will pop up in that head of yours after you get back home :) Aloha my friend :)

quilly said...

What a wonderful model for these idioms. Did she know she was posing?

Loree said...

I love the colourful flowers on the hat.

Wanda..... said...

You do have a talented eye for matching photos with idioms Jientje...perfect!

RA said...

Wonderful idioms! I would love to know your answer to Quilly's question. Is she someone you know? Tough I haven't been able to join you all the time, I really enjoy this meme. It has taught me a lot of new idioms in very creative ways. I'm definitely gonna miss it. Thank you for hosting a wonderful idea. Like Thom, I'm sure you're gonna come up with something interesting again. You're a very talented photographer, Jientje. All shots show so much soul. Have a great week :)

Nessa said...

I love the hat. i want one.

Caution/Lisa said...

I've loved your idioms and will miss them, but I can't wait to see what's next on your list of memes.

moneythoughts said...

Nice character sketches. Her outfit is interesting, looks to be a period piece.

Unknown said...

I love the outfit. It is amazing. As are, as always, your pictures.

James said...

You are very good at this. I think idioms are great.

Momisodes said...

Okay, these photos and idioms are fantastic. You are really great at this. I just love her expressions and all the colors in her outfit.

kayerj said...

I'll miss your idioms because "a picture paints a thousand words" you should post at least one a month, you have such a creative way of illustrating them.

Jientje said...

@ Gattina : YOU are going to have so much fun at that Halloween party!!! I am going to be in the States by then, so I'm really VERY VERY curious what Halloween is like back there!
Brussels was not a good idea, I'm so glad I could stay warm and get some rest today. I'm still wearing my jammies! LOL!
I'll think about the idioms. But you'll be away too, won't you?
@ Kathy:I'm SO glad to hear from you again, you know I was really really worried about you!!
I'm glad you're having such a good time with your family . You know family, and friends and weddings and travels are all so much more important right now. I am looking forward to my travels too. It's getting closer every day. Three weeks before I leave, can you imagine?
LOL at Anonymous, I knew it was you Kathy!! Thanks for commenting, and I'm very much looking forward to your return. In the mean time, have fun!! So will I!!!
@ Thom : You see THAT's one of the things I'm proud of. You've learned how to make pictures for yourself instead of borrowing them from Mr Google. I must say, I prefer yours!! Your creativity in this photo challenge was amazing! And your sense of humor always shines through!! It's not over yet! Two more weeks! LOL!
@ quilly : She is an actress. She was part of the reenactment scenes they do at the Museum Park. She did not pose, she was playing, and I was trying to capture it.
@ Loree : Cute eh?
@ Wanda : It usually takes some time to browse through different idioms and my photo archives, but I've managed to throw something together each week up until now!
@ ROSIDAH : She was playing a role, she is an actress. They don't pose, but I mingle between them - sort of- and ACT like I'm working. LOL!!! And they let me!!
Thanks for such a sweet comment Rosidah, I'm so glad you enjoyed this. But I would really like somebody ELSE come up with a new idea instead of me!! But it was fun, i agree!
@ Nessa : You might find hats like these at flea markets, or antique shops?
@ Caution Flag : I can't wait either. But I would love it if somebody else launched a new idea instead of me!!
@ moneythoughts : She's an actress at Bokrijk park. They play reenactment scenes, and everything they wear is authentic.
@ Lou: They're all dressed according to the fashion of a hundred years ago.
@ James: Thanks James, you should play too? Why not?
@ Sandy: She had a very expressive face, true.
@ kaye: And now, everybody says they'll miss it eh? I'll have to think about it.

Betty W said...

I love how you do idioms. I think you are so creative. Will be checking some of the others.

Dr.John said...

That poor lady is about to crack up, break down , and throw a fit.
Great illustrations for those idioms.
Sad there are only two weeks left.

Melli said...

I LOOOOOOOVE the shots of this lady! They are sO good! She has a very expressive face!

First thing on OUR agenda to celebrate Halloween will be CARVING pumpkins! Yes, indeed!

Heidi said...

Great shots of the lady.

I try not to get worked up, but I do go to pieces right after I attempt to get a grip.

I left you a holler back in the comments over at my place on the post you last commented on.

Barbara H. said...

I was wondering about the lady, too -- interesting to read in the comments that she was an actress. Love that outfit! And what great illustrations of those idioms.

I never did get to any today. It was raining Monday and I thought of a couple of rain idioms...but didn't take pictures then, and it's been sunny ever since! LOL! Nothing came to mind yesterday and today I had two appointments, so I never put an idiom post together this week. But I will definitely try for the next two weeks! I'm sad in one way it is coming to a close, but it's probably better to close while everyone is still enjoying it rather than after people feel they've run dry and can't come up with anything else. Thanks for hosting this -- it's been fun!

It will be fun to read of your travels and visits to the US!

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive