About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Friday, October 30, 2009

Fave Five, First Impressions…

 

 

FFF fall leaves 2[9]

This Fave Five has got to be a “quickie”. Five pictures of what  I have seen here so far and what we’ve been up to yesterday. 
Please read Melli’s posts for more details…

IMG_2148

1. Fun with  our cameras.
Our cameras are working overtime.
We’re having so much fun together, Melli and I, and Mom tags along with us.
The poor thing really gets her exercise, but she loves it.
She’s sweet. I love her to pieces.
It’s breaking my heart she won’t remember a thing a couple of days from now, because I just KNOW she’s having a good time too…

IMG_1914

2. BIG trucks!
They’re huge, but the most photogenic trucks I’ve ever seen.

IMG_2025

3. And then old barns of course. I LOVE them!!
I’ve seen them on other blogs before, but now I’m the one who gets to photograph them!!
Not just a quick shot from a distance, but up close and personal. Every little detail matters!
But you’re going to have to wait until I get home to see more pictures!
I’ve got some good ones!!

IMG_2091

4. We visited one of Melli’s favorite places yesterday, Great Falls. A BEAUTIFUL place, not just because of the wild river and the falls. Photo opportunities galore!
People dressed up in old costumes, live reenactment scenes, a little bit of American heritage and history… I HAD FUN!!

IMG_2425

 

5. Even going to the groceries store is fun. We went shopping for some ingredients to cook supper.
Of course I have my camera ready, even in there! I would not DREAM of doing this at home, but over here I am a woman on a mission, trying to capture the essence of daily life in America.
And when people ask questions, there is always Melli explaining I’m from Belgium ….
I’m sure people must think Belgians are a bit eccentric.
But that’s okay.
I used to think the exact same thing of Americans….

 

 

More Fave Five posts at Susanne’s Living to Tell the Story.

28 comments:

Gattina said...

Beautiful pictures !! Yes those trucks wouldn't have enough space on our narrow streets and highways ! Imagine when I went there for the first time, people thought Belgium was the city and Brussels the country, because they had never heard about Belgium but of Brussels, because of the Commun market at that time !! How do you feel like an eccentric woman ??

Wanda..... said...

Your photos and words left me smiling this morning Jientje...Loved them! Hope you see and capture the best of our country!

moneythoughts said...

Yes, we have big trucks, but we don't have the better engineered highways you find in Germany. There is an old saying about truck drivers, that they never die, they just get a new Peterbilt. Glad you are having fun.

Carletta said...

It's nice to see you made it safely and are having so much FUN!
Your pictures are wonderful - love the barn!
And such a great shot of the truck that we take so much for granted. You did a great job capturing that giant.
It's fun rediscovering my own world with you. :)

Unknown said...

THAT'S what I need - a new Peterbilt! Lovely pics, Jientje. Be careful - you may let the secret out of the bag and all your fellow Europeans will know how normal we are.

RA said...

Wonderful shots and interesting story to go along! What a privilege to take shots in a store. I haven't dared to do it 'til now, but I always wish I could. Waiting for your updates ;).

Unknown said...

How wonderful. It just takes someone special like you to make us realize once again how much we take our wonderful land of America for granted, just like everyday shopping at a local grocery store...ahhh just 3 or 4 or 5 miles in any direction from my home I have HUGE grocery stores to choose from. I love your post! It is really makeing me think of what I take for granted every day! Even a Peterbilt truck! hehe

Betty W said...

Sounds like a great week so far! Did you get some pumpkin spices? They probably don´t have them in Belgium... :)

James said...

I'm so glad to read that you are having a good time. I'm enjoying seeing America through your eyes.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

That barn is so cool! Love the flag painted on it :)

Leora said...

I took a quick look at your post, and I thought, what's all that Americana on the barn doing in Belgium? Then I realized you are visiting! Enjoy. Love your foliage by the canal(?) shots.

Barbara H. said...

What a delightful post!! I LOVE the picture of the falls -- you picked a beautiful time to visit.

I had never thought of big trucks as photogenic before, though...

Bientje said...

I can imagine the two of you are having big fun with your camera's!
Nice to be able to read two versions of the story!
Big hug,
Your little sister

Ellie said...

This is one patriotic barn! Great find. I have this spice in our grocery store. I can tell you are close to us now. Welcome to the USA!

maryt/theteach said...

Hi Jientje, you're in America! Can't believe it! Welcome to the good ol' USA! Bet you're having fun with Melli... Got to go over to Melli's blog and find out all the details. Again, glad to have you in the States! :)

quilly said...

I love photo #4 - -breathtaking! sigh Waiting for you to get here is hard!

Kim (frogpondsrock) said...

hehe I would have photographed the pumpkin pie spice as well.

Willow said...

Welcome to America! It seems like everything is BIG in America, especially our cars. So glad you are having a great time! Speaking of time, are you aware that our clocks will do something funny on Sunday?

The Retired One said...

I am loving seeing what you want to capture on camera when you are in the USA. I hope everyone treats you well and that you are having a great time!!

Robynn's Ravings said...

I'm so excited you are having fun and making wonderful memories!!! This photos were absolutely YOU. Which is perfect. :)

Jientje said...

@Gattina: I LOVE being MYSELF, and do what I feel I should be doing. If people call that eccentric, well ... that's FINE with me. I am having FUN!!
@ Wanda : SO looking forward to see more!
@ Fred : Up until today, I had no idea what a Peterbilt was, but if it keeps an old trucker alive and happy, then I'm all for it! I am having SO much fun!
@ Carletta : That shot of the truck was taken through the window of the car, LOL !
The barns made me think of you, the minute I saw one!
@ Lou: That Peterbilt is a great idea! LOL!
I don't know about normal, but the Americans I've met so far are all wonderful people!
@ ROSIDAH : I have not dared doing it at home, but nobody has forbidden it here, so I'll just keep it up I think!
@ Linda Higgins : And to me it's all very very special!
@ Betty : I did get the pumpkin spices, oh yes indeed!
@ James: I'm so glad you like it!
@ Kristi: That barn was very very special.
@ Leora : Visiting, indeed!
@ Barbara H.: Oh, but THEY ARE!
@ Bientje : And I can imagine you are having fun reading all this! BIG HUG sis!
@ Ellie: I love the spice!
@ maryt/theteach: I'm so happy to be here!
@ quilly : I'll take it one day at a time, this is too much fun!
@ Kim: LOL, great minds think alike!
@ Willow : What IS going to happen to the clocks? I don't know (yet)?
@ the Retired One : Oh yes, I'm qa spoiled brat, and I'm having the time of my life!
@ Robynn: Woohoo, I'm glad you think so!

Nessa said...

Great pictures and your perspective is really making me look a daily life more closely.

Ghost, Goblins, Ghouls, Oh, My

Anonymous said...

I am so late on commenting and all. It looks like you are having such a good time. How funny to like those Semi's. I would have never known. I wonderful pictures my Belgian Bombshell. I'm so happy for you :) See ya soon!!!

kanishk said...

What a delightful post!! I LOVE the picture of the falls -- you picked a beautiful time to visit. Work From Home

Nicole said...

Pumpkin pie spice? You are kidding, right? Then again, no, you are in the US....

You guys truly look like you have a bunch of fun :)

Maybe Mom will remember bits and pieces via the pics...

United Studies said...

What store did you shop in? Peter has tried to take pictures in stores, but he is always told to put the camera away.

And yes, Great Falls is one of our favorite places to visit, it's beautiful!

Unknown said...

Oh Jientje!!! You are having so much fun! Tell me, are you sleeping at all?

lytha said...

hi there, i just found your blog and i enjoyed your trip to america very much. i am an american living in germany and i take my camera with me into stores when i go home and visit. because besides our mountains, what i miss most about home is our grocery stores. there is so much more variety of items than i have seen in germany. so i bring my camera and get pics of the wonderful stuff on the shelves, even though i feel at home.

it was nice to see i am not the only one!

~lytha in germany

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive