About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fontaine de Vaucluse, No Playground




This video might give you some idea of the force and the speed of the water of the well.



This looks like still water, but make no mistake...


This is how it looks only a couple of meters further downstream.
When we were there, we heard a man had drowned there the previous day. They found his body about three kilometers up the river, and my mind boggles if I try to imagine the horror of this.
Now, can you imagine how we felt when we saw ...





THIS??

Holy Moses!

I mean, really?
What is with some people?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are the most stunning pictures I've seen in a long time. And the story just so doesn't fit this beauty but it's reality. Excellent my friend :)

Ballerina Girl said...

it certainly is beautiful water, isn't it?!
I guess we can not live in fear....
though my heart would have skipped a beat, too!

BG

United Studies said...

Yeah, I don't think I'd be letting Emma get that close!

Melli said...

Actually ... I AM that Mom! And Grandma! The water is not deep in that spot -- you can see that there are rocks in the water right beside where he is and for some distance out. You can tell the water gets deep where it turns blue.

We have a place here -- Great Falls - I will take you when you come... we have people drown there every year - usually while canoeing or kayaking - but there are many rocks to climb on and places where the water is calm - and even though they recommend NOT swimming there, people do. I have. My kids have. You can't live your life in fear of losing it. You just have to play safe! My kids would play there -- and I would be taking pictures! :)

And yours are beautiful - and I especially LOVE the one looking down past the tree on the left! That is just a great shot!

Wanda..... said...

Love the sound of the rushing water too...so powerful...Can't be too careful...Better safe than sorry...

Unknown said...

Maybe the Mom was not aware of the danger!!

quilly said...

I am used to big raging rivers and I know there are safe spots even in waters with the worst reputations. I can't really judge the area on these photos, but I may well have let a child play there. And she is there with him. Most often the child that drowns is the one no body was watching.

Tink *~*~* said...

Dangerous, yes - but I still love the pic looking down on the little boy.

Tink *~*~*

Kathy said...

Jientje your photos are breathtaking, I can understand your concern for the little boy, my heart skips a beat whenever I see kids by water they see no fear. hope you are still having a wonderful time in Provence, happy weekend, Kathy.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

That river is beautiful but definitely dangerous for kids to be playing near!!

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive