About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Thousand Words in Idioms K and L

As long as people have been around, they have tried to communicate with each other. As a means of getting the message across as clearly as possible, idioms and sayings have found their way into our language. Now, because "a picture paints a thousand words", I thought it would be nice to make this a photo challenge. The idea is to choose an idiom, or a saying, ( even slang is allowed) and illustrate it with a picture. Each week we'll cover two letters of the alphabet, okay? You can find the first edition here if you need some inspiration.








"A Thousand Words in Idioms"

If "language is the dress of thoughts" ( Johnson), then idioms must the wardrobe ...






We are doing K and L this week.




K is for .... Knock on wood.
A person knocks on wood or touches wood for good luck.









Knock On Wood - Amii Stewart

Remember the song? I can never hear that phrase, without hearing the song.
Aaahhh, memories from the seventies ...


L is for ...
Like a kid in a candy store.




If someone is like a kid in a candy store, they are very excited about something.

Yes, well okay, they're still in FRONT of the candy store in this picture, and if you're curious about the inside of the shop, here's another picture ...




Don't forget to sign the Mr Linky if you're playing?
Can't wait to see what you'll come up with!


24 comments:

Carleen said...

I had my post up hours before you, LOL! It was ready, I had a seizure and needed to go to bed, so I just posted it.

quilly said...

I like the reflections of the kids staring in the candy shop! That says it all. And you have managed to give that plain old wooden door a very charming and romantic aspect. How do you do that?

Anonymous said...

I love these. And the music adds so much to it. Excellent my friend. I love the reflection in the candy shop one. Very well done my Belgian Bombshell :)

Doug The Una said...

That's a lot of Belgian candy, isn't it? Fantastic knocker, and I don't mean that idiomatically.

I ain't superstitious about ya, but I can't take no chance. Heck yeah I remember that song.

Melli said...

Oh my gosh! Your candy store is EVER so much better than ours! The pic of the kids is great - but I LOVE that door!!! Ya know -- I ALMOST did knock wood - but I just wasn't happy with the pictures I was getting. I'm SO glad I didn't - it would have paled miserably next to yours! That door knocker is FABULOUS!

Kathy said...

I am just like a kid in a candy store when I visit your blog Jientje, I want to look at all your photos at once, beautiful door and knocker, I love doors especially around Europe and you just cannot beat Belgian chocolate, just look at those faces and not just the kids lol, wonderful photos and word mosaic, this is such a great idea for a Mr Linky, I have already joined outdoor Wednesday today but I will join you next week if I may, Happy Wednesday, I'm tapping my toes to knock on wood :-), Kathy

Nessa said...

Oh thanks. Now I'm going to be hearing that song all day in my head.

The picture of the kids looking in the window reminds me of Harry Potter's kids looking at the brooms.

I am, apparently, saving all of my idioms up for one big post.

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Liked these Jientje, made me think of my Mum with the K, she'd always say it had to be unpainted wood to really make it work.

I am always a Kid in a Candy store, I was to Best Buy last night looking at the Digital Cameras (mine quit alltogether). I looked like the kids in the picture looking at the candy whilst I was looking at the Cameras.

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are like taken out of a fairy tale - I look around and see only sqares and edges - I look at your photos and I see curves and warm. Thanks for sharing your vision!

said...

Thank you so much for stopping by earlier and for the well wishes! Happy {belated} anniversary to you as well!

Anonymous said...

I like all the pictures, but especially the kids looking in the candy store -- so charming!!

If I were to jump in and participate in this, would I need to catch up from the beginning, or could I start with the next letter, M? When it first began I thought I'd jump in late, because we had such a busy spring, but now it's about half over.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

The photo idioms you come up with are amazing!!!

Robynn's Ravings said...

Love the look OUT the store window. Great effects!

Carleen said...

Ok, you and Quilly have inspired me to look for a song AND a picture for next week's idioms just because it adds so much more fun to the whole process. :)

I do hope that you find a way to keep this meme going after we've finished the alphabet; this is my favorite meme!

Jientje said...

@ Carleen: Thanks for playing!

Christine said...

I am coming over to knock on that door. It is very woody and would be sure to bring good luck. Did you knock on it?

Robin said...

You're so clever about these phrases - I draw a total blank every time I try to come up with one!

Jientje said...

@ Quilly: Yes, they really look like kids in a candy shop don't they? Despite the fact that they're outside! LOL! And the door is a door in Venasque, Provence. I'm a bit of a door freak, especially when I'm there!
@

EG CameraGirl said...

Two very good idioms and photos to go with them!

Dr.John said...

I loved both sayings and the pictures were picture perfect to go with them.

Wanda..... said...

Perfect photo of a picture perfect candy store...

Gattina said...

Beautiful pictures ! I managed to participate too, but unfortunately your post wasn't up yet when I left the hotel at 9 am for the airport. I have a lot of pictures to show of course and I can only say the landscapes in the south of Morocco are wordless ! You have to see them to believe it, and I have seen already a lot of the world.

RA said...

I love your idioms and great shots to go along! I believe that it would take some time to get my children out of the candy store. Gosh, I would have a hard time myself to get away from sweet treasures like that. Have a wonderful day :)

spacedlaw said...

Wonderful photography, Jientje.

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive