About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Monday, June 1, 2009

Macro Monday, A Snail Tale




Bonjour!
Aaah oui, allow me to introduce myself. Antoine l'Escargot.
Yeah, I prefer to speak French.
The name Escargot sounds so much more refined. Imagine "Snail", Tony Snail? Nah, sounds like a character from a Chicago gangster movie. And they told me I'm way too slow to play in a gangster movie when I tried to audition once. Nah, that did not work.
So there, Antoine l' Escargot. It has an aristocratic ring to it , don't you think?


One morning, not so long ago, I woke up to this cliffhanger of a story...
Mon Dieu, I'm quite sure this was not what I had in mind when I was heading home last night.
Yeah, I know. My house is on my back, so I'm always home, right? Hmm.
Somebody must have picked me up or something. Probably that Jientje woman with her camera. Yeah, should have known. Trespassing her patio without being noticed? Uh-uh!
I slowly ... (yeah, us snails do everything slowly, haven't you noticed?)
Anyway, as I was saying, I SLOWLY slimed myself from my hiding place ...




Mon Dieu!!!
I'm afraid of heights!! Aaaack!


I'm clearly NOT in control of this situation here, this is horrible!
I mean , have you seen how DEEP this is?


Okay Antoine. Take a deep breath. Breathe .... Concentrate.
Dang!! I'm talking to myself now! Quel horreur!!
I'll never make it to star in a gangster movie now!!

No way I'm taking this plunge! Snails don't DO bungee jumps, uh-uh!
I think I'm just going to sit this one out.
Wait till she picks me up again. And then what? Oooh, the worries!
I could end up on her plate, for all I know. Yeah, they do that to snails. They let you starve for a couple of days, and then they cook you in an aromatic broth, and serve you with garlic butter!
Aaack, and I LOATHE garlic! And they use your house as a serving dish! Aaack!!! The horror!!
And I don't CARE if she's a good cook or not!

I'm getting the hell out of here! As FAST as snails can be?
Before she catches me again.

More Macro Monday pictures at Lisa's Chaos.

27 comments:

Amila Salgado said...

I like snails, slimier the better.

quilly said...

Oh, what a wonderfully slimy guest blogger!

The pics are charming and the story is even better!

June said...

Great series of shots...excellent closeup work!

United Studies said...

I think snails are cute, and you captured some great shots!

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

I loved your commentary (although I admit I am not a fan of snails!)

EG CameraGirl said...

Dear Antoine l' Escargot,

You are very funny and a little bit cute, but please stay far far away from my garden. ;-)

Your admirer,
EG

Ellie said...

Escargot or not - I can not eat that! I loved to watch the snails when I was a kid. My grandmother had this giant bush that attracted the big snails in dozens. Fun to watch - never tryed to eat them. Frogs - that is something else - frog drumsticks - I'm there :)

Melli said...

I have not seen a snail in a million yeeeears! They must have all gone to Belgium! Gattina had them too!

Antoine... you gross me out - but if you appear in my garden I would photograph you too! And you would have NO fear of becoming escargot! You could live happily as your altar ego - Tony SNAIL! Well... you might not live toooooooo long.

Jientje - GREAT shots!

Heidi said...

I love finding these and watching their antennae push up out of their slimy selves. I like to touch an antenna and watch as it is withdrawn into the slimehead. Then watch as it slowly grows back out. Great pictures!
Heidi

Carletta said...

Great macros Jientje!
Cute story.

Anonymous said...

Antoine you are an ugly looking thing but mighty tasty. Can you believe that Jientje woman...always getting her camera out and snapping photos...and in the privacy of your own home to boot. But I will say she made you look like a start today :)

Nicole said...

Love the shots and the story that goes with it :D
Lucky guy to get away fast enough before you got hungry ;)

Jientje said...

@ Gallicissa: Well, I've got to admit, he made a great guest blogger. Slimy, but good!
@ Quilly: Yeah. He just took over, you know?
@ June: Yes. Loved the series too, straight from the archives, that one!
@ Jacki: It's funny, but I never considered them as cute. Not before this series, that is!
@ Kristi: *giggles*
@ Your EG Tour Guyide: I will!! I PROMISE!!
@ Ellie: same reason I cannot eat frogs! I used to watch them at my grandmother' all the time!
@ Melli: Yup!! They're here. At least, they WERE here. Until I published THIS!!
@ 2Thinks: You're even worse than I am!
@ Carletta: Thanks, and WELCOME BACK!!!
@ Thom: A movie star?? Gee thanks Thom! And um ... yeah, I KNOW all about Jientje. You'd better watch out for HER!! I heard she's gonna travel with an elephant next? OH DEAR!!
@ Nicole: :-))
Yeah. I got away from HER and her CAMERA. Lucky me!

Becky said...

You always amaze me with your wonderful photos. The snail story was very cute amd I loved the museum shots as well. Thanks again for sharing your world with us!

RA said...

I can see that your new camera has made it full use. You have so many wonderful photos here! Have a great day, Jientje :)

Susanne said...

LOL. Great shots and I can totally hear her saying all that, too!

Libby's Library said...

This post was really funny!

Jientje, what am I doing wrong? I think we have the exact same camera, but I can't ever get Macros like this. Help Me...Please!

Tatersmama said...

Antoine, you did a fantastic guest post and I was laughing at loud at your oh-so-slow antics - and the commentary!
Just be a little leery if someone asks you over for dinner!

Oh Jientje, What I wouldn't give for a camera like this!
You're such a lucky girl and talented photographer!!!

Brenda said...

I love those pictures, I don't think I have ever seen a snail that close before!

Maggie's Mind said...

You are too funny with your story, and the pictures are just amazing. Love the detail!

Kathy said...

oh my Jientje your photos are so wonderful that I feel like Mr Antoine L'escargot is right in front of me for real and I just do not do snails YIKES! can you hear me screaming lol, happy Monday, Kathy.

Christine said...

Awesome!!! Antoine you handsome guy, you don't have to worry about me. I don't eat snails. Maybe you should move to my garden although I suppose it would take you too long to get here.

Unknown said...

Magnificent! I love the snail and the tale! :)

Robin said...

Fabulous macro series, and I love the commentary that goes with it!

a ladys life said...

Love the close up shot and escargots are delish:)

Jientje said...

@ Becky: You're welcome, Becky. It's just me having fun you know!
@ Rosidah: It does, but these were made with the previous camera!
@ Susanne: Heehee!
@ Libby: I'm glad you liked it. There's an email on it's way. If you have any more questions, just ask, okay?
@ Tatersmama: I am. A lucky girl! Glad you had fun!
@ Brenda: now you have!
@ Maggie's Mind: So glad you liked it!
@ Mama: LOL!No, haven't heard you?
@ Christine: Madame Christine, I think it would kill me to get to your place, so I'll better stay here!
@ Lisa: Thank you! You're the master of Macro though, I'm your humble student!!
@ Robin: Thanks Robin!
@ a Lady's Life: They are!
@

Anonymous said...

LOl...I'm so glad you could read between the lines and figure out what start meant LOL Have Camera Will Travel :) Elephant and all :)

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive