About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sepia Scenes, How to Make a Traditional Beehive



Remember the picture of the beekeeper making a traditional beehive I posted last Sunday? Quite a lot of my readers wanted to know more about how they were made, so I'm sharing some extra photo's from the demonstration we got at the Bokrijk Museum Park.
The warm beige natural colours of the pictures and the nature of the subject inspired me to do a Sepia Scenes series.


The baskets are woven from long stemmed grass or straw.


A piece of cow horn was used to make tight bundles from the straw. The bundles are sewed together with leathery strings of cord made out of bramble shoots. People did not have much in those days, but as you can see, they did manage to be pretty resourceful with the materials Mother Nature provided.





And this is how they look inside after the bees have built in their honeycombs.

Click this link to read more about beehives and their history.


Find more Sepia Scenes pictures here.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG...something new that I learned today. It is wonderful and the photos...as usual...are outstanding. Thank you for the explanation on beehives and sharing this. You Rock :)

Wanda..... said...

Wonderful photos...you captured more than just the weaving of baskets...the creativity behind it and his masterful hands and craftmanship.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Wow! Those a beautiful photographs. I really loved the first two. They are beautiful in sepia. It always does my heart good to see that these things are not a lost art.

Robin said...

That's fascinating Jientje, and beautifully shot too.

Susan at Stony River said...

What a beautiful and fascinating post! Several years ago I studied medieval beekeeping for a while, and read descriptions of just these hives. They're so much prettier than modern ones...I wonder if the bees have a preference? LOL

Anyhow, Jientje, I forgot to mention the last time I left you a comment--Happy Anniversary! Sorry it's late but I hope it was lovely!

RA said...

I always love your photos whenever I arrive on your blog. Beautiful! I found out from Thom that you have been celebrating your 18th Anniversary. That is so lovely! Wishing you even more joy and blessings together in the upcoming years. Have a great day :)

United Studies said...

Those baskets are awesome, and so are your photos. I really like the second one where you zoom in. That really captures the essence of his craft.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photos - They're great for sepia shading.

Anonymous said...

Your pictures remind me how much out of touch with nature our modern life is. This craftsman's hand transforme nature with care and strenth. One of the photos captures a movement - magical

Carletta said...

What a great series Jientje!
Nice shots.

Melli said...

How fascinating! And lovely! I mean - they make beautiful BASKETS as well! How do they entice the bees TO them?

I can NOT believe that we BOTH did out Sepia Scenes in a sepia/color mix series this week! GREAT MINDS! Wow!

kayerj said...

that is amazing, I love the sepia shots but the color are fantastic as well. These pictures tell a great story. Hope you can stop by to see my sepia scene and window views Thanks!

Jientje said...

@ Thom: It's always nice to learn something new. It's my lifestyle I guess?
@ Wanda: Yes, I loved the hands too.
@ hip chick: that's one of the reasons I love the museum park so much. But it makes me wonder, will there be a generation of young(er) people to learn his skills and pass them on, or ...?
@ Robin: It was not easy to make photographs in there as I always want to use the natural light as much as possible. It was fairly dark, and a lot of bright sunlight outside, so they're really not perfect.
@ I heard the bees prefer the old hives, but the beekeepers don't because the honeycombs cannot easily be removed nor replaced.
@ Rosidah: Thank you, that's so sweet of you. I'll better hop over to Thom's to see what he's been up to now huh?
@ Jacki: I much enjoyed taking this series.
@ Tricia: Even the ones in full colour are almost sepia, that's what I liked so much about this series.
@ Ellievellie: You said it so well, and I agree.
@ Carletta: Thanks!
@ Melli: The whole art of beekeeping is fascinating and mysterious I think.
@ kaye: Thanks, and I'll be right there to visit yours!

quilly said...

Wow! A Jientje documentary! A bit of history, a bit of education, and stunning photos. You impress me more and more everyday!

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Those beehives are pretty cool!

Unknown said...

That is sooo amazing.
I have never seen anything like this and the pics are gorgeous.
Thanks for taking me along ;)!

maryt/theteach said...

Jientje, your photos are extraordinary for Sepia Scenes! They are so beautiful and clear! Happy Anniversary too! :)

Dr.John said...

The sepia gave it a flavor of long ago. But all the pictures were really helpful in remembering the way things were.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos. Fascinating postI especially like the one of the man's hands.

Paz

Kathy said...

A master craftsman at work and you captured it so well, loved the sepia, my hubby loved this too, Kathy.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photography, you captured the craftsman's work so well. Just lovely!

Gattina said...

Beautiful pictures ! It's strange to see someone doing crafts here, I have seen so many in Morocco. In the south the time is still standing still and people live like 2000 years ago, except that they got electricity now.

Anonymous said...

Well if it's your lifestyle keep it up and please please please keep on sharing :) I know you will

Lydia said...

Fascinating and beautiful.

Unknown said...

What a great series! looks like a lot of work but so awesome!

Kathy McCreedy said...

What beautiful photographs! I love seeing how those little beauties are made, thank you so much for sharing with us! Great site, your english is superb, don't worry! I LONG to visit Belgium one day, what a beautiful place!

Jientje said...

@ Quilly: Why thank you!
@ Kirsti: Yes, I like them too!
@ NicoleB: You're welcome!
@ Mary the teach: Aaah, you visited Thom's site by any chance? Thanks!!!
@ Dr John: I love the way things were.
@ Paz: Yes, the hands, I just loved to follow them with my camera!
@ Mama: You showed this to your hubby? I'm honoured!
@ seedsofnutrition: thanks!
@ But you can still see it here too!
@ Thom: Of course I will!
@ Lydia: Thanks!
@ Lisa: It must have been a lot of work, bu they had time to do it! No internet!
@ Kathy Mc Creedy: If you do, just let me know!

Barbara said...

Alot of work goes into those lovely baskets. Great series. I am behind on my blogging as have been fighting a cold. But wanted to stop by and say hello and a very special thanks for the creative blogger award. Big smiles Barbara

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive