About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Friday, February 5, 2010

Fridays Fave Five, A Wonderful Weekend

 

FFF snowflakes-1.JPG


Can you believe it’s Friday AGAIN? I feel like I’ve missed a couple of days this week, I can hardly believe how fast this week has gone by! It seems like only yesterday when I announced I would be away for a long weekend with my husband and here I am, one week later … 
Anyway. It IS Friday, so it’s time to look back and list five favorite things from the week that has gone by. Here we go …

The highlight of the past week is the weekend in the Ardennes with my husband no doubt. It was everything I wished it would be.
We had …
1. … just the right amount of fresh snow. Nothing as unpredictable as Belgian weather. I asked for snow … and we got snow! We never get much snow at home, so yes, it was a treat. It even snowed at the right moments! It snowed when we were in the car traveling, but we were still able to pull the car over and make photos. It snowed when we were inside having breakfast the next morning but it stopped when we wanted to go out for a long walk. We even got some blue skies near the end of the afternoon. It had stopped snowing altogether and all the roads were cleared when we set out to return home again.
2. … a lovely hotel and all the people working there were very very friendly.

Fave Five Ardennen


3. … delicious food. Their lady chef sure knew what she was doing in her kitchen. We decided to give the restaurant a try when we arrived the first night and we did not want to eat anywhere else after that. The plates were pretty and the food was cooked to perfection. From starter to dessert, … heavenly.
4. … a very long walk on Saturday. It was good to be outside in the crisp fresh air. We were exhausted by the time we got back but the beautiful scenery was well worth the aching muscles. Nothing a good hot bath could not cure! I took a gazillion of pictures.
Yes, well … don’t I always?  
5. … a guided tour of the citadel of Dinant on Sunday. A citadel is a fortress built to defend the city against foreign intruders and I was horrified by the cruel stories of the bloody battles that have been going on there through the course of history.
After that we parked the car by the river and went looking for a place to eat. After a lovely meal in a Chinese restaurant we were ready to return home to enjoy the rest of the evening. I love to travel and be away from home, but it’s always a good feeling to have a cozy home to come home to as well. 

Look for more Fave Five posts at Susanne’s Living to Tell the Story.

14 comments:

Wanda..... said...

It seems...Heaven is in the Ardennes too, Jientje!

Christie, Describe Happy said...

Hearing about your trip again it reminds me that I am overdue for a nice get away of my own!

Lisa notes... said...

Glad you had such a special weekend with your husband. Memories like that last a lifetime. Snow, delicious food, long walks, guided tours. Wow! Sounds like a perfect weekend.

Avril said...

Oh how absolutely lovely!!!! Stunning, breathtaking photos on previous posts!!! A winter wonderland !!!

moneythoughts said...

Glad you both had a good time. That is nice.

Bientje said...

Was that with a Bongo bon sis?
Big hug,
Your little sister

Stephani Cochran said...

Jientje (Gene-Chu, I'm saying it right, you just can't hear me!). If your header picture is any indication, then maybe Belgium is heaven! Can I come? Glad for your lovely weekend! Have another terrific week!

Karen said...

Lovely winter photos! I listed your blog on my Fave Five today. I so enjoy coming over here to visit.

Colleen said...

So many great photos. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend!

Brenda said...

There is no place like home. . .

I love your pictures so much, they nearly tell the entire story without needing words. Everything comes to life with the pictures you take.

Unknown said...

oh I am just shivering looking at the snow! It is so beautiful and I think it is so romantic for some reason, I guess the thought of cuddling up to someone special and keeping warm!?? Love your photos! What a special weekend! Wish I were there!

Momisodes said...

What a wonderful getaway trip. Sounds like it was just about the perfect length of time. And the food looks delicious!

Susanne said...

It sounds absolutely heavenly. A weekend away with your hubby with all that wonderful food and scenery. Awesome!

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

What a wonderful time! Thanks for sharing it with us, too.

Happy weekend.

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive