About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Friday, February 12, 2010

Fridays Fave Five, Apple Pie and Primulas, and a Birthday …

 

friday fave five 12

Friday’s Fave Five is hosted by Susanne at Living to Tell the Story. It’s my favorite meme because it makes you look back on your week and celebrate the good things.

1. The Primulas my husband bought me as a little present for my patio garden.
I used them to decorate the table for our daughter’s birthday dinner, and as soon as the snow goes away I will plant them outside where they will add a touch of color and Spring to my patio garden.

2. Our daughter Patsy’s birthday. Her birthday was on Friday and we invited her and her husband over for a little birthday dinner on Saturday. We had a lovely evening together, catching up on the latest stories in our lives, opening presents … while enjoying our food. We had three little appetizers with our aperitif, a salmon “bonbon” with crab mayonnaise as a first starter, followed by scallops. I served quails on truffle pasta in a Lapsang Souchong cream sauce as a main course. It was delicious.

verjaardag Patsy 2

3. Warm apple pie and home made cinnamon ice cream for dessert. Need I say more?

4. The gallons of tea with honey and lemon I had yesterday and the day before have done a great job. I’m feeling a lot better already. Thanks for all the get well wishes!

5. It has been snowing again with very cold temperatures. This calls for old fashioned comfort food, so I made split pea soup again. I think I might have listed this favorite soup of mine in one of Fave Five posts some time ago, I’m not sure. It’s one of the things I like about Winter. A nice bowl of split pea soup that tastes like it did when I was still a kid.

 

 

More Fave Five posts at Susanne’s Living to Tell the Story.

18 comments:

Moonrayvenne said...

I'm glad you are feeling better & had a very good week. I like your collages of pics. Your daughter's birhday meal sounded scrumptious! yum! Have a great weekend! (((HUGS)))

Suburban Girl said...

Wow, your daughter is cute and those appetizers look like something from a high end restaurant.

Unknown said...

Oh apple pie..yummm! I love the photo collage...I need to learn how to do that!

Kari said...

Happy birthday to your daughter.
Apple pie and home made cinnamon ice cream just sounds so yummy.
I love your photo collage - beautiful

moneythoughts said...

I love Rebecca's comment about "high end restaurant." You just know how to live. I will stop here as I don't wish to hurt anyone's feelings. Love your pictures. They speak to a culture we have too little of.

jp said...

how lovely! love your photos!

The Retired One said...

I made pea soup last night in my slow cooker too!
I would love to see your recipe if you want to repost it...as I just "threw" together a recipe last night.....!

Susanne said...

I love soup in the winter and I made an awesome Navy Bean soup last night. Warms me right up. I'll have to try split pea. I don't think I've ever had it.

Happy Birthday to your daughter. The meal sounds awesome. Will you come cook my next birthday dinner? :v)

Carrie said...

No, you don't need to say anything more about warm apple pie. You've said quite enough, thanks! ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your daughter! Looks like y'all had a wonderful evening.

Barbara H. said...

I love soup when the weather is cold. Glad you're feeling better!

Willow said...

I think that apple pie and cinnamon ice cream would be a perfect birthday dessert. Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Brenda said...

That salmon bon-bon looks like something I would love! I'll have to give it a try. It looks like meals are always a treat at your house.

Karen said...

I like your photo collage. Thanks for sharing your family's celebration, the menu and the lovely pictures!

Rob Siemann said...

Lovely collage, with happy people

Sis said...

I loved your faves and your photos too, and I am extremely interested in your homemade cinnamon ice cream!

Happy week!

Kathy said...

Happy belated birthday wishes to your daughter Jientje, looks like you all had a wonderful time, the salmon looks heavenly and apple pie delicious, happy weekend, Kathy.

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

What great pictures!

Warm apple pie and homemade cinnamon ice cream...sounds heavenly.

Happy weekend!

Momisodes said...

Warm apple pie with ice cream AND split pea soup? Every time I come here I wish we were neighbors :)

So glad to hear you're feeling better.

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive