About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ruby Tuesday, On the Bus

ruby-slippers-door-stop_copy

I sat on the bus on my way home from my photo walk in Antwerp last Thursday when an East European lady took the seat opposite mine. She put her embroidered shopping bag next to her on the seat, her handbag on her lap and held on to the two bags of potatoes as if they were a very valuable possession.
I just KNEW it would make a great picture, and took my Big Guy out of my camera bag and fiddled with it a little, pretending to look at my pictures. I switched on the live view and managed to adjust the lens and frame this picture without anyone suspecting what I was up to - not even the guy sitting right next to me!

IMG_8491

Find more Ruby Tuesday posts at Mary’s Work of the Poet.

19 comments:

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

Happy Ruby Tuesday. We are RT "neighbors" with my posting just before you. This photo really tells a story of the woman on public transportation with her memories and her craft and her potatoes and her bundles. I can just imagine the face!

Jan
GDP

Leora said...

Colors and character. And texture. You are telling a story - trying to puzzle it out.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh I just love this picture. I can just imagine her going home and making her dinner. Her hands are so interesting also. It looks like she has made quite a few dinners with them.
Great picture it really does tell a story. It sucks you in and makes you curious about more.

Gromushka said...

Hand - is part of our life. Just in international vision, hands is a visible part of soul.
Thanks.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Two for you!

Precious potatoes,
plain-looking riches, who will
feast on you tonight?

cradling potatoes
old woman licking her lips
dreaming of supper

Piper Clad in Red

Anonymous said...

Always exciting, isn't it!? :-)

BTW: yes, we too had a lovely weekend.

Wanda..... said...

Your photo conveys a sense of protection in those hands, Jientje. I love that you saw it.

Caution/Lisa said...

We have many East European grandmothers in our neighborhood. I can just picture their faces on your model. Wonder what she cooked with those potatoes.

Suburban Girl said...

It does make a wonderful photo. Very telling.

Colleen said...

Well, aren't you sneaky! :)
It turned out to be a wonderful photo with two great stories, the one you told and the one that the photo conveys.

Unknown said...

I love potatoes! Those would be a treasure to me as well, lol. Lovely, sneaky shot!

Willow said...

Well done! Sneaky girl :)

Joyce said...

Love this photo and the vibrant colors of her bag and those potatoes. I wonder what she is going to make along with those potatoes for dinner tonight?
Joyce

Dianne said...

this is a wonderful photo
I love your composition
her hands are so amazing, they remind me of my Nana

Brenda said...

I love your story of how you got this beautiful shot. Its always a challenge to get good pictures without being intrusive.

jay said...

Brilliant photo - especially considering the sneaky way you acquired it! Well done! I love the colours and the human interest!

James said...

Great idea for a photo. I like the colors of the bag. I'm thinking about going to Belgium later in the year but I can't decide if I want to go to Antwerp or not. I'm thinking Brussels and Bruges and maybe Ghent or Antwerp too.

Heidi said...

My gosh, you're working under cover now! Very tricky, Jientje, very tricky. What a shot- I'll call this one, "Guarding the Potatoes"

Loree said...

I don't know how you do that. If I tried to take a picture without anyone noticing I would probably get arrested ;)

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive