About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Windows and Doors, a Winter Display …

cityisland 017 copy2

IMG_7455

Snow attributes neatly arranged against the wall is what caught my eye here. It is probably a common sight in the Ardennes, but not where I live. We don’t get all that much snow.

This little display reminded me of my former neighbor who had a hardware store. We could always tell when and if snow was predicted. Each time he put a sled and a snow scraper out on display in front of his shop we knew he was hoping there would be enough snow for him to finally be able to sell his stuff. When the snow threat was over, he’d put them inside again. Each year, these items remained unsold and they disappeared to the back of the store again.
Until the next Winter, when the first snow was predicted …

More Windows and Doors at Mary’s Window Views.

16 comments:

VioletSky said...

I am attracted to the curve of the window in the door!

and the light sconce. oh and that bell!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Stunning wall textures highlight the interesting window feature of the ironwork and the magical curved window in the door! Beautiful!

moneythoughts said...

Nice picture. I am ready for warmer weather so I can ride my bike. April is less than 2 months away.

Christie, Describe Happy said...

What a gorgeous door and I really enjoyed the story about the sled showing the snow prediction. Adorable!

Suburban Girl said...

Great story. I love that sled.

Wanda..... said...

Lots of things to appreciate in your wonderful photo, Jientje

Susanne said...

Love that wood door!

This picture brings back lots of warm memories. With plenty of snow around here that shot could have been from my childhood. Love that old sled. I still have the sled I used to use as a kid and it still beats out anybody on the hill. LOL. We don't use it anymore though because of the metal runners, now considered a danger.

Gena @ Thinking Aloud said...

Lovely door and window ....
Gena @ Thinking Aloud

Dianne said...

the reflection of the snow covered tree is wonderful
the entire scene is lovely

maryt/theteach said...

What a marvelous picture and story, jientje! The reflection in the window is like a painting! :ove it! :)

Carletta said...

The wooden door and sled, the snow, the lace, the reflections - so much to love about this shot Jientje!

Loree said...

I loved your story about the hardware store owner.

Jay said...

I love that picture! They say 'every picture tells a story', but it would be truer to say 'every picture should tell a story', I think. Anyway, that one certainly does.

Nice capture!

Ballerina Girl said...

your weekend away sounds wonderful, and I love the pics you got!
I like the sled, such a reminder of times long ago!

Have a great weekend!
BG

Jientje said...

@ VioletSky: To me that door looks pretty ordinary but that bell is my favorite.
@ Greyscale Territory: I LOVE that poetic comment of yours, thanks!
@ Mama Zen : Thanks!
@ moneythoughts : Less than two months? You're right! What a lovely thought!
@ DescribeHappy : Some things you never forget and as soon as I saw the display I remembered my neighbor!
@ Rebecca : Thanks.
@ Wanda : I'm so glad you like it Wanda.
@ Susanne : It looks like any ordinary door to me but that's because I'm used to seeing doors like this one. I'm glad my picture evoked such nice memories.
@ Gena @ Thinking Aloud : Thanks!
@ Dianne : That reflection was a nice bonus, that's true!
@ maryt/theteach : Thank you Mary, I'm glad you enjoyed the story as well!
@ Carletta : Thanks!
@ Loree : Yes, that's a great memory.
@ Jay : As soon as I saw the display in front of this house the story popped into my head.
@ Ballerina Girl : I'm glad you liked it BG! Have a great weekend yourself!

Colleen said...

I love this picture. It looks as though you set it up for the shot, even though you just happened upon it.

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

    Blog Archive